Hot Rod, a simple magic trick

[Permalink]

1 Like

Funny how I react to this sort of thing. If approached in a non theatrical environment Iā€™d assume the person talking was preparing something bad for me. Abduction of somethingā€¦

1 Like

ā€œAt a grocery store in lineā€? No thanks, potential creeper.

4 Likes

All magicians are potential creepers, just with a healthy outlet.

6 Likes

So what do you do if someone insists on a colour other than red, and wonā€™t accept the forced choice?

ā€œā€œAt a grocery store in lineā€? No thanks, potential creeper.ā€

I thought the same thing. Itā€™s even worse if he pulls this trick in the ā€œ12 items or lessā€ lane. Sorry, buddy, no time for tricks. I just want to pay for my groceries and get out of here.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why you ask for a number (in a range) rather than a color. And donā€™t do the same trick twice in a row, of course.

I think I remember ways to deal with numbers 2-5, but how to deal with 1 or 6 escapes meā€¦

1 Like

The trick is in the counting; no matter which number they pick there is a way to get them to the right color. Count from different ends, spell the number, or both.

This is one of the first tricks I bought when I was a kid. Never quite mastered it that well though.o

1 Like

Funny in the Andy Kauffman sense!

1 Like

I see how it works. But if someone tried this on me Iā€™d want to pick the colour myself, directly. And if they did it once, Iā€™d want it again, specifically with a different number.

But to be honest Iā€™d probably just ignore the annoying guy at the supermarket trying to do tricks because Iā€™d assume he wanted money. :smile:

Related (to the bit about ā€˜potential creepersā€™, not magic):

3 Likes

And thatā€™s just the sort of person magicians learn to avoid whenever possible. :slight_smile:

Also, never ever show a one-shot trick without having something else on hand to move on toā€¦

1 Like

Count out the letters in their choice. :wink:

Hell, Iā€™d assume heā€™s earned his money and throw him a few bills. How often do you see street magicians?

Iā€™m not as dexterous as the man in the video (Iā€™d argue my patter is better), but I have/had(I canā€™t find it) a pen-knife gag that I could to a similar color-change trick with. The nice thing is it came with an identical pen knife all in one color. So you could put it in the markā€™s hand, and then switch it out for the two-sided job for the illusion.

I might have to buy a new one. Just found it at Midwest Magic for $13

My father used to make similar apparatus out of McDonalds coffee stirrers (back when they were made of wood); you just need to whittle down the stem a bit so it fits properly between your fingers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.