Hours after a man deposited $33,000 in his BofA account, the bank closed down – and lost his money

Pretty sure that’s not how it works. The check was not deposited. It’s not like someone burned the cash. The money is still in the issuer’s account. You go to the issuer and ask them to cancel the check and issue a new one. If the money WAS deposited, then find out where it went and get it back.

3 Likes

That is not how cashier’s checks work. With a cashier’s check, the bank is the issuer.

19 Likes

In my experience with BofA and many other fine institutions of banking, when you do a teller transaction, it gets scanned by the teller (most often reading the originating account info so it can be converted to electronic form for ease of clearing) and goes into the big computer in the sky before you get your receipt. The branch closing right afterwards shouldn’t change that in any way.

The receipt includes a transaction ID. If a manager at another branch can’t simply look it up by that number, then something has gone very wrong with the system.

Sure, there’s clearing times and funds may be listed as “pending” until perhaps the next day so they can make sure you didn’t forge or steal the item you deposited, but they still show in the system.

21 Likes

That’s going to foul up the injectors. Kaylee’s gonna be pissed.

17 Likes

This sounds a bit like the American Gods con Wednesday did, one snowy night…

1 Like

I’m sure Kaylee has been instructed to keep the intake blades sharp just in case of such an occurrence. Sure, it’s going to mean some extra work, if only to make sure everything burns off properly, but the initial sharpening is worth it.

6 Likes

Who the fuck is Steve Jobs?

Leonard showed him the cashier’s check and deposit receipt — proof of the missing money. “I said, ‘You’re the manager, can you escalate the issue.’ He says, ‘No, there’s nothing I can do.’”

Magic Fingers Family GIF

“And you know, that ball started moving quickly,” said Leonard.

Bugs Bunny Running GIF by Looney Tunes

13 Likes

I think if a guy showed up at the TV station with a receipt and a claim that the bank didn’t give him his money, the story teeters. Couple it with the shuttering of local branches, no that’s a story.

3 Likes

It’s a bank. No banks are run by good people. Good people work at banks, but they make no deceisions above the branch level.

Next, it’s a major corporation. No major corporations have anyone but their largest stockholders’, management’s, and board’s interests at heart.

4 Likes

Houston Dr. Malika Mitchell-Stewart suing Chase Bank for denying service while trying to deposit $16,000 check - ABC13 Houston

7 Likes

The money wouldn’t have been lost anyway. Go back to the issuer of the check and report that BoA lost it, please cancel and reissue.

I hope his very next action was to turn around and move all of his accounts to his local credit union.

8 Likes

I call shenanigans. If the money was deposited, it would be in the system. Has nothing to do with the branch. If he gave someone a check and walked away, perhaps this could happen. Evil or not, I don’t buy it.

Edited to say, sorry folks who said this up above. I thought I read the whole thread.

Are people so ready just to believe everything on the TV News? And so ready to just say…B of A sucks.

You can still get it re-issued if it was lost. The deposit goes somewhere, or not.

1 Like

I think you hit the nail on the head. When I was reading this, I was wondering where the hell this guy lives that bank branches are closing down. That’s the story here.

As the story says, it’s Oakland. A majority-minority city. See also, grocery stores, car dealerships, etc.

As for all the folks saying he should go back to the issuing bank, it probably wasn’t issued from his account. It was probably a cashier’s check issued from someone else’s account for a large transaction, such as a private car sale. Cashiers checks are the safest way to do a private vehicle sale. Go to the buyer’s bank and have them issue the check in front of you. Take the check and deposit it to your account right away.

If it wasn’t deposited but the bank took the physical check, then this guy had no recourse except with the bank that took his deposit.

15 Likes

Are you seriously suggesting that large banks never either make mistakes or purposefully screw people over? Have you missed the past few years of banking scandals?

Just, FYI, my mom’s old bank opened up a credit card in her name that she did not need not long after her husband died. They took advantage of her in a low point in her life, and I had to go get that shit straightened out in person.

So, yeah, banks can and DO fuck people over. Especially, as @DukeTrout noted, minority majority communities and working class communities across the board. Perhaps YOU should pay a bit more attention to how corporations are attempting to screw over people that aren’t rich and white.

13 Likes

This happened to my dad and me once at Chase in Los Angeles when we walked into my local branch with a large check to deposit—my nearest credit union branch was a lot further away. The local Chase management all came out of their offices and stood there with us, looking at the check from a regional east coast bank, and shrugged their shoulders, nothing they could do. Too risky. It was way less aggressive than what was experienced by the doctor, more like passive-aggressive, but still baffling. They did not outright accuse us of intent to defraud the bank, but the mistrust was evident. The bright side is that she refused to accept their disrespect and brought the matter to daylight.

3 Likes

BofA is closing locations due to covid and labor shortages. At least that’s the reason they’re giving. Been a bunch about it in the news.

8 Likes