House Republicans just voted to defund the agency that fights election hacking

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/14/house-republicans-just-voted-t.html

3 Likes

surely they have an alternative solution in mind, like with health care - right?

19 Likes

16 Likes

This year DOES present a real opportunity for needed reform, but with people like Harper and Chaffetz in the House, it ain’t gonna happen. Or, at best, it might happen in drips and drabs, but it won’t be moved forward by any substantive action taken by the right.

11 Likes

37 Likes

Bunch of fucking Mustache Twirlers, all of them.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t go as far as admired…

2 Likes

Policy changes (e.g. voter ID) will never to be enough for the power-hungry. At some point, you must change the political process itself. As the saying goes, it’s not about who votes, it’s who counts the votes.

Something to remember the next time you throw down with a Trump-supporting friend or relative. This wasn’t a policy vote but rather an effort to undermine the democratic process of this country. Every House critter who voted to defund this commission? Remember their names, because they’re every American’s political enemy.

16 Likes

I guess this means you’ll start seeing 80%+ votes for weak republican candidates in 2018?

The plan is just too transparent, but by blowing up all of the planks of democracy and a liberal society in one go, it makes it very difficult for activists to focus.

7 Likes

You all don’t seem to understand. The objective isn’t to prevent Russians from voting. It’s to prevent Democrats from voting.

24 Likes

Roger That!

5 Likes

Of course they did.

4 Likes

The exact same solution in fact.

‘The invisible hand’

2 Likes

Where are all the commenters who are normally scared to death someone might vote twice imperceptibly affecting the final vote count? I’m sure they want to hear about this.

23 Likes

Too overawed at how trump has the moral fiber to fire friends when it looks like they are unfit for the job.

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. @Max_Blancke, any comment?

13 Likes

Well, of course they did - how else are they (or the Russians) going to hack future elections to stay in power if they secure the voting systems?

Yeah, and that seems to make up about half of what the GOP is spending their time doing right now.

6 Likes

Only half?

In all seriousness. !media needs to report this and keep it on a loop. This is basic findimental buolding block shit.

And then they had the fucking nerve to say regulation created further too big to fail scenarios.

Jesus h fucking Christ.

2 Likes

They’re fine with this since they got what they wanted in November.

1 Like

Well, look - they’re really busy trying to turn women into fetal “hosts,” destroy environmental and banking regulations, destroy public education, gay rights, science and organized labor, get rid of taxes on the wealthy, etc. There are only so many hours in the day in which to be indescribable assholes!

2 Likes