Houston: Mass Shooting Reported, 5+ officers shot, suspect 'down'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/28/houston-mass-shooting-reporte.html

3 Likes

Are the guns safe?

40 Likes

Also, five women were shot execution-style in at a bank heist last week and it barely even made the news.

58 Likes

Numb to this sadly.

4 Likes

His entire purpose being to murder them. He wasn’t even robbing the bank.

29 Likes

Yet again:

44 Likes

USA, you do realise that most of the world doesn’t see these headlines on a regular basis, right?

38 Likes

Presumably because the rest of the world is too busy getting crushed under the iron fist of tyranny. (“Tyranny” being defined as “the state of not being able to quickly and easily obtain a gun on a whim.”)

38 Likes

WTF ‘pray on your way…’. So not appropriate in that context.

18 people killed in DC since Jan 01 … yawn. This latest one in Houston wouldn’t have percolated up without cops being killed. Because they matter. /s

19 Likes

On the bright side, I’m sure the wounded police officers are getting a lot of thoughts and prayers.

10 Likes

Not to mention the mass shooting where a woman rejected a guy and he responded by murdering her and her entire family (5 killed). But also, apparently in the last week there were four mass shootings in DC (3 dead), near Penn State (4 dead) and Georgia (4 dead) that I haven’t even read about anywhere, I just saw the death tallies. (And that doesn’t even count the other four mass shootings in the last week that had injuries but no deaths - yet.)

That comic always sticks with me, not just because it so neatly encapsulates the grotesque, unnecessary repetition of the trauma of mass shootings, but the fact that there’s literally one almost every single day.

27 Likes

Thoughts and prayers.
Gun control.
Thoughts and prayers.
Gun control.
I wonder what those wounded officers are thinking.

5 Likes

People in the USA are shooting at each other, news at 11.

9 Likes

There was also a racially-motivated mass murder in New York a week or so ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/24/nyregion/hammer-attack-brooklyn-restaurant.html

18 Likes

The Onion glibly filling out a generic template for US mass shootings on its front page every couple of months is one of my favourite bits of journalism, circumstances aside.

29 Likes

Apparently they were serving a drug warrant according to one source I read. Maybe if they hadn’t been violently inserting themselves into someone’s private affairs they wouldn’t have been shot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And again:

28 Likes

Totally not the way you meant it but no I did not see this on either CBC or BBC. Found out about it first here. It is so shamefully common that this sort of thing is not noticeable from the outside world looking into the States.

6 Likes

“Only in America, folks…”

8 Likes