How an obsessive jailhouse lawyer revealed the existence of Stingray surveillance devices

[Read the post]

5 Likes

When the cops got radar, the drivers got radar detectors. Keeping the details of the technology secret makes perfect sense, it’s the lying to the public part that’s a problem.

On the other hand, I’m inclined to say any crook who actually thinks his cell phone is secure deserves to get caught.

2 Likes

I’m puzzled as to why they filed patents, instead of just keeping design elements as trade secrets, unless the patents are just vaguely worded nonsense.

1 Like

I thought this was Rigmaiden:

I sit corrected.

1 Like

“using ninja forgery skills”

His superpower is enviable.

What would keep one from forming a whitelist of good cell tower ids (based on location), and making e.g. updating the SHR phone software so it will only connect to those?

As a side note, the phrasing of the article aggrandizes a guy who is stealing our tax money. Quite skillfully, but being good at doing evil is not admirable.

1 Like

It was clear to me that the reason they made a big deal of how meticulous he was as a criminal is that it helped bridge into how he figured out everything out about Stingray. It never struck me that they were saying his criminal action were a good thing, just that he was very very good at whatever he set out to do.

7 Likes

So, the “law enforcement” agency goes omerta with Harris, gets training on how to evade public scrutiny of taxpayer subsidized purchase of a device the purpose of which is to deceive law-abiding citizens in hopes of being able to catch a few criminals. Then police administration train and collude with line staff to maintain the cover so the corrupt application can be presented with a straight and earnest face in court. Seems like RICO in reverse to me. I believe there need to be criminal sanctions against police who provide deceptive warrant applications.

2 Likes

The Good Guys get to be Bad Guys, too!

Who watches the watchmen, indeed?

Didi you read the article? You should read it. It’s very good.

This story makes me wonder, if Rigmaiden had used his modem in a moving vehicle (train/automobile), would that have been an effective countermeasure?

Yeah, that and the unstated fact that active-mode Stingrays impose data drag and battery drain on all the innocents swept up by them.

Subterfuge was needed because dragnets tend to be very unpopular with judges. Justice Brandeis summed it up quite nicely: “The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.