How building a working Antikythera Mechanism might have uncovered an unknown lunar calendar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/14/how-building-a-working-antikythera-mechanism-might-have-uncovered-an-unknown-lunar-calendar.html

7 Likes

Humans are amazing, both ancient and contemporary.

7 Likes

The dichotomy of our astounding cleverness and rank stupidity is really something to behold.

21 Likes

The interaction of multiple disciplines in both the original and the reconstruction is staggering. The calculations that go into the calendar is one thing, but the level of craftsmanship that’s required using “primitive” tools and processes is very revealing in that we’ve probably made too many assumptions about our ancestors capabilities. It’s a good reminder also of how little evolving we have done in many millennia. The “ancients” were some pretty fucking intelligent people.

*Edit SP

6 Likes

Cool. Just started watching this series yesterday…it was one of my ‘someday’ plans, just went into lockdown again, so what better time

2 Likes

I HIGHLY recommend watching his videos. He has an amazing editing style, his videos have a unique look, he’s very relaxed and positive sounding. His work is excellent as well, really good and fine detailed work.

His previous long series was a clock he built completely from scratch, and it’s a definite work of art.

I am biased, and support his Patreon. I will note that while he was on a hiatus working on this paper, he stopped Patreon payments since he wasn’t providing videos. Stand up guy.

5 Likes

Check out his other videos on the Antikythera, he shows some of those “primitive” techniques, and how well they can work.

2 Likes

I would also recommend Machine Thinking - Origins of Precision. He takes you on the journey of how we got to a place where can reliably build things with a high degree of precision. And why that precision was required for industrial revolution to happen.

2 Likes

It’s always been Nerds vs. Bullies/Idiots.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.