How DeviantArt ended up an AI chum bucket

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/21/how-deviantart-ended-up-an-ai-chum-bucket.html

6 Likes

Enshittification strikes again… :sob:

18 Likes

Sounds like I need to get off Wix. I already left DeviantArt.

13 Likes

I don’t know where people can go now… Tumblr still seems good, but if you get an influx of people on tumblr then what then…

8 Likes

That GPL conversation is…something…definitely sounds like the guy who thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room did not bother with doing any lame lawyer stuff when he can totally talk his way out of anything because he is very smart. Such techbro.

11 Likes

I still have work posted there, though the last time I visited my profile was a few months back.

I saw they had installed an in house version of that “AI” generation bullshit; I knew then that the foul wind of enshittification was blowing that way.

13 Likes

I haven’t even thought about that site in like 5 or 10 years?! this makes me sad.

3 Likes

Wordpress, maybe? Both my free sites are on Wix. TIL they’re assholes, so that won’t do.

10 Likes

People like to say there’s no ethical consumption under capitalism. It insists people promote themselves too, and doesn’t make that any easier. Everything is always a fight to do the least harm. :disappointed:

10 Likes

Sad Canadian GIF by CBC

7 Likes

I pretty much bailed on on DA ages ago when people figured out that they could shortcut to the frontpage and misc site features (and getting easy commissions/sales) by posting whatever they did to have something to do with nudity, pop culture characters, and other low hanging fruit. I didn’t begrudge the ones that despite that had strong creative skills, but often i saw very lazy attempts get a lot of attention. Personally i never used the site for views/attention or money so i tried to ignore it, but after a while it just felt like a bummer and i didn’t enjoy the community any more. If anything i’m generally embarrassed when i tell people i had a DA account.

I need to go pull my artwork from there before it gets nuked. Some of it i’m not sure if i have any backs ups elsewhere.

7 Likes

The same thing happened with Artstation after they were bought by Epic games.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.