How did pro wrestling become fake in the first place?

I won’t argue fake or not fake other than to say it takes a lot of strength and skill to perform like the video below. Lots of real blood, ice picks and fire. All of that is in the video below. Look at Abdullah The Butcher’s forehead in the video below, those scars are from “blading”, a small razor blade taped to their finger so they could draw blood at will.

I grew up with Big Time Wrestling in Detroit, at least one Saturday a month we would be at Cobo Arena for live wrestling through the 70s. I’ve seen many bouts like the one below live in Detroit. As a 10 - 16 year old it was very real. I have no idea what happened to my wrestling programs but my Godfather used to get us seats right next to the chute the wrestlers came out of from the looker room to the ring so I had many of the greats’ autographs.

I very breifly got into WWF and the first wrestlemania but it was nothing like what I had grown up with.

Just the ones I could remember.

Abdullah the Butcher, Bobo Brazil, Pampero Firpo, Dory and Terry Funk, Ernie Ladd, Luis Martinez, Mighty Igor, Dusty Rhodes, The Sheik, George Steele, Bull Dog Don Kent, Stan The Man Stasiak, Andre The Giant, and the announcer Terry Sulivan.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.