How Disney is screwing the author of numerous best-selling movie novelizations

Disney destroyed the public domain in the US. Fuck Disney. Friends don’t let friends support Disney.

4 Likes

I’m sure the media conglomerates would love that. This is the industry that never makes money on movies because the actual film is made by a company that gets spun off for the purpose.

Oh, no doubt! I am sure Disney’s lawyers have told Disney this.

To my mind, the remarkable thing about this story is that Disney believes they can get away with this. How is it that we allowed any corporation to get so powerful that they’ll even attempt such a thing?

A: by letting them get away with it often enough to make it worth their while.

1 Like

According to this legal theory then, wouldn’t it be okay for me to show the DVD of Solo and charge money for it without paying Disney anything? I mean, when I bought the DVD, I bought the rights without the liabilities, no?

Also, Foster is writing machine. I’m not sure I can type as fast as he writes novels.

2 Likes

DF950626

4 Likes

I had a WarnerBros EVP once explain Hollywood accounting to me—I’d known the guy a long time and as a former creator himself he was honestly disgusted by the practice—and how, say, Forrest Gump could pull down $683.1 million at the box office on a budget of $55 million and still be in the red, meaning the novel’s author would see precisely bupkis.

6 Likes

IIRC, when the production company approached the author to acquire the rights to film the novel’s sequel, he declined, saying he could not in all conscience allow them to suffer another loss of such magnitude.

9 Likes

Reminds me of an interview with Mickey Spillane I once saw, IIRC from the mid-1990ies.
He said that he would still get phone calls from Hollywood types offering him “you can make a million bucks, easy” movie deals, and that he’d always turn them down.
His reasoning was that if he would make a million bucks on a movie deal, somebody else would make at least ten. And denying some Hollywood puke the chance to make 10M was worth not making 1M for him on any day.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.