How do I handle people who have a bad opinion of me?

How is it hasty? For better or for worse, he did massively piss off two very close loved ones and I, truthfully, cannot fathom how that would feel like. I expressed gratitude at not personally having that problem. Hasty might better apply to people who want to feed him his own dick.

You obviously know/like the guy and that’s fine too.

I just meant: perhaps you don’t know very much about James Altucher other than this one article he’s written.

Like it’s quite untrue for you to claim that he “repeatedly pisses off his loved ones and never feels it’s his fault.” Not sure where you came up with that assumption.

1 Like

As someone who has worked in an advocacy role on unpopular issues, I have been on the receiving end of harsh behavors and language more than once. FWIW, my perception is that OP’s list of advice is sound. I don’t know that it’s original. I also don’t know that it gives adequate consideration to the risk that dissociating for hours watching, say, comedies could be symptomatic of complex posttraumatic stress disorder. And what about the value of apologizing and promising to try not to repeat past harms regardless of fault — asking for forgiveness. Life is short. I think I would consider adding “ask for forgiveness” to the list. It’s not always right maybe. It is worth consideration.

3 Likes

As I said right after that, it’s not something I know for an absolute fact, but it explains quite a few things, and it’s not as though paid-for content isn’t part of the experience here. I’d rather think a business was taking money (or some other consideration) to post a rich guy’s awfully written and inflammatory blog posts, than think this was the sort of thing the folks who run BoingBoing thought was just too awesome for people to miss. But that’s not impossible.

EDIT: It’s also worth pointing out that if there is any contractual relationship other than “asking nicely,” regardless of whether it’s the one I suspect, they’d probably be legally well advised not to comment on it. So the fact that nobody’s yet corrected me, assuming anyone concerned is even reading this, doesn’t mean there isn’t a better or different explanation than the one I’m offering. Caveat lector.

Two words: outrage economy.

Sites live and die with clicks and eyeballs. Bring something that riles people up enough to argue, and voila, lots of revisits and more impressions and more clicks.

Todo: invest into teapot stocks.

2 Likes

Are you his best friend, or his publicist? Because that’s what you sound like.

You could absolutely be right. Elsewhere I’ve been critical of people who “expected more” of BB because it grew out of something that was a very different kind of endeavor from the one it is now. So maybe I’m just being naïve in not jumping to that conclusion, rather than the one I reached.

If he is his best friend, he probably won’t be after his next article :wink:

5 Likes

Dude is the patron saint of going off half cocked. He’s not stupid, but he appears to have a poorly functioning filter (and editor if this post on BB is indicative). He seems to be mostly okay with this, and it has worked out pretty well for him. But he’s also incredibly lucky, by his own admission he managed to put together $15 million, squandered it, and got thrown a lifeline by Jim Cramer.

Like many people who have succeeded to a greater or lesser degree in business, he seems to think this makes him omnicompetent. How else to explain his post, linked above, where he blithely dismisses that U.S. intervention saved any Jews in WWII? Or his dismissal of Japanese actions in Japan? I will admit, that got me angry. But the rest of his current career, which appears to be self help pablum hyped in a top 12 list by The Motley Fool? Podcasts with more ‘advice’ on how to live my life? That just makes me sad. He’s a huckster. He does things like this post because he appears to be economically positioned so that attention is better than quality for his (personal) financial success. With 12 of his self help publications on Amazon coming out in the last 4 years, I think it is safe to say that he is relying on volume for sales. Following his advice for business/life success is probably sounder than following Trump’s, but that is about the faintest praise I know.

Actually no, I don’t even know the man personally or anything like that. Geez, can’t I say something positive about somebody and not get accused of being a paid shill?

Not everything posted to boingboing is here for uncritical adoration; Giving this a whole ‘feature’ page does make me wonder. I just hope this was meant more as a discussion piece than a “cute animal” piece. I’m enjoying the discussion, but could have lived without ever hearing of this Altucher.

Relevant?

Should I Die: Manual for James Altucher’s New Wife

6 Likes

Oh God, I can’t tell if this is satire from a person who hates James Altucher, or if his wife really wrote that!

4 Likes

But with no ads on the BBS, how do they benefit from all the arguing and revisits and impressions?

The rest of the website would be one hell of an investment just to make the occasional joke about him…

I feel like the bit about the friend and the sister at the beginning is like an almost audible moral record scratch that I think sent a lot of people’s moral compasses scrambling to clear up how they feel about their own balance of “I don’t want to feel the pain of social disapproval as if I did the bad thing and hurt someone”/“I don’t want to be DOING the bad thing though”/“I want others to also care about doing the bad thing” and it’s kinda hard to get back on track wanting to hear from this guy when it seems from the outset that the article is about disregarding others instead of caring about what you’ve done, though caring is in the text beyond the bullet points.

Start with Wheaton’s Law. You can have an opinion, but:

7 Likes

Yet here you are, still reading it and complaining about the good old days?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s beyond Poe’s Law into like Poe’s Bar Association or something.

3 Likes

My wife’s (I’m guessing):

1. He’s a terrible dresser. Don’t bother trying to change that.
  2. His farts form what is essentially a never ending stream of gas. I suspect you’ll have to adjust somehow.
  3. I don’t think I need to continue.