How do you make a half-filled cup of water full without actually pouring (video)

Originally published at: How do you make a half-filled cup of water full without actually pouring (video) | Boing Boing

1 Like

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: ‘Now, it’s complete because it’s ended here.’

• from "Collected Sayings of Maud’Dib’’ by the Princess Irulan”
10 Likes

Cats Reaction GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition EMEA

When plastic is burned, it releases dangerous chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide, dioxins, furans and heavy metals, as well as particulates. These emissions are known to cause respiratory ailments and stress human immune systems, and they’re potentially carcinogenic.

https://teacherscollegesj.org/what-happens-when-you-burn-plastic-waste/

20 Likes

Why “should” they think that? Especially if they can come up with less destructive ways than burning the cup?

2 Likes

Add ice cubes and wait for them to melt.

9 Likes

We used a similar trick in the Boy Scouts to boil an egg in a paper cup, just put the cup right on the coals and wait ten minutes. Do this trick with a paper cup and you’re at least not burning plastic.

4 Likes
  • How much loose change is in your pocket? Get another cup of the same shape, put it in the cup with water, take your change out of your pocket and drop it in inner the cup.

• Get a cup of ice from the bartender and place each piece into the cup.

• Get a cup of water from the bartender and an eyedropper (or turkey baster), and draw water from one cup and drip it into the other.

How many more ways are there to do this without releasing toxic chemicals into the air?

7 Likes

I thought they were going to hold the cup and squeeze it until the water rose up to the top.

8 Likes

Yeah, don’t do this trick unless you have a chemical exhaust hood

6 Likes

In this hypothetical bar scenario I imagine a straw would be more accessible.

1 Like

Take the cup outside, set it on the ground, wait for rain.

5 Likes

Seems kind of dumb. Just submerge the cup in a larger vessel of water.

5 Likes

Is trick for optimists or pessimists? :thinking:

6 Likes

It says half-filled cup, not half-emptied cup, so I’m gonna go with optimists.

6 Likes

I think the use of cardboard as fire mat is a sign they like making bets.

3 Likes

I smell burning plastic.

2 Likes

Slap on a legal disclaimer and declare it full: This cup is filled by weight not volume. Settling of contents may occur during transit.

6 Likes

The cup is already full. Half with water, half with air.

8 Likes

What if it was a spherical cup in a vacuum?

4 Likes

Valid point, and I had thought about this, but I assumed there would be some debate as to whether the straw was pouring the water out of it.

1 Like