How emoji use can reinforce racist white supremacy

Yeah, it would almost be funny, if it weren’t so annoying.

But back on topic;

Emojis colors aren’t the problem. Complacent people are.

8 Likes

Not at all what I said or meant. I mean that civil, intelligent, conversation is how you resolve differences, and not by shutting up either party to those differences.

2 Likes
9 Likes

One of the things I always liked about Sesame Street is how the variety of skin colors on the “human” muppets make race largely irrelevant (with some worthy exceptions, like the “I love my hair” girl from 2010).

21 Likes

EXACTLY.

These are conscious choices made at the level of design and development, not some random happenstance that just arbitrarily occurs.

14 Likes

As a kid this was not lost on me and meant a ton.

12 Likes

Holy crap that is great!

1 Like

I think we all know that Proust and Hemingway are dead… (Embarrassingly, this was my actual thought when I read that after a mention of those authors)

6 Likes

In addition to this internal evidence, there is ample contextual evidence to verify the proposition that ‘The Death of the Author’ is a satirical attack on the anti-biographical bias of modern critics. The most obvious piece of evidence (though sometimes misinterpreted) is the fact that this essay was signed by Roland Barthes. If he really believed the views of his fictional narrator, he would not have dared to sign it, for that action would have contradicted not only the claim that the traditional concept of authorship is nonsensical, but also the related claim that the producer of a work is not the author but the reader. Commentators may sometimes impute a degree of hypocrisy to Barthes in this regard; but that merely shows that they, too, have taken the piece literally.21

https://www.jstor.org/stable/42968079

still, emoji as a language of clarity reminds me of Orwell’s newspeak. Perhaps those who type a emoji in lieu of words deserve to be interpreted in the least generous manner.

1 Like

Emojis have their time and place.

10 Likes

It’s the Internet. Everything’s already interpreted in the least generous manner.

9 Likes

I’m a scuba diver, the OK sign is used there to say “I’m ok / I understand your message”. I really hope that it doesn’t become seen as anything other than that, or that we have to change the sign because some idiots are trying to co-opt it.

(For those that don’t know, you need single handed gestures that can be made out in murky water, and “thumbs up” is already used to signify “go up/end of dive”)

10 Likes

We don’t have to worry about this one specific usage when we discuss racism and white supremacy, don’t worry!

(also a scuba diver)

8 Likes

I would tend to concur; that seems like a very specific and uncommon extenuating circumstance, which isn’t really germane to the topic at hand.

8 Likes

It’s like the belayer’s code for climbers: everyone all over the world learns the same protocol, and in the same language: for belaying it’s English, for scuba it’s a specific sign language, as mentioned above. The group will go over the protocol together before starting out, just to make sure everyone is on the same page. When you’re in a panic 60 feet down, you need to have basic communications utterly ingrained in your mind and body so you don’t have to consciously figure out how to express yourself in the moment.

Which means, it’s silo-ed. It’s its own thing, very formal in usage, only for a specific situation. Nothing to do with how people in general interact with each other on land. I would never question seeing the OK sign while diving, whereas now I assess each individual situation if it comes up in regular life. Lots of times, it’s just someone making an OK sign, but I know I can’t ASSUME that. Underwater, there’s no question.

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.