How license "agreements" interfere with the right to repair

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/21/i-agree.html

1 Like

Bad jokes and a laugh track?
Explains that view count.

2 Likes

The bad jokes wouldn’t be so noticeable without the canned laughter. The world needs to stop doing that, especially when talking about something so serious.

4 Likes

The world pretty much has stopped, which makes it all the more jarring when it shows up unannounced, like in Natural Born Killers.

Chuck Pahlaniuk pointed out that most laugh tracks were recorded in the 1950s. It is quite literally the laughter of the dead.

6 Likes

We get it, he kinda looks like him, but someone more skilled than me needs to #JustAddZebras to polish this off. :slight_smile:

Man, John Oliver has really changed.

2 Likes

The crappy training videos featuring “Oliver John” on “Tonight Weekly” that I was forced to watch when I worked at Staples were somehow… better than this.

I often wonder what legal/linguistic contortions were required to make a EULA into a plausably binding agreement; after all, it’s super illogical, and in other circles, illegal, to bind someone contractually after the fact of an agreement.
What’s next? I buy a house, come inside for the first time, deed in hand, and find a legally binding licensing agreement in the kitchen?
I mean sure, I could always just take the house back, right? Or just not use it, because I don’t agree with the terms of this new contract?

Que’ce que fuck, guys?

1 Like

He’s probably right, if he’s talking about, say, The Groovie Goolies. Sitcoms recorded in front of a studio audience record that audience’s laughter. Only the truly wretched ones have to use an entirely pre-recorded laugh track. Even scenes that are pre-shot (say, on an exterior set) are then played back in front of that studio audience to record laughter that matches the rest of the show.

An editor will often move a laugh to help bridge an edit, but that laugh will always have been recorded from the same audience that watched the rest of the episode being shot. And during the sound mix, some laughs may be augmented by actual “canned” laughs, but not as often as you might think.

People who get tickets to watch sitcoms being filmed actually tend to like them, and typically laugh their asses off.

7 Likes

As terrible as that video is, I have to give them credit for totally nailing John Oliver’s schtick.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.