How many megabytes to become a Regular on BB

Hey, it’s nearly as fun to do it to his (virtual) face, too. Just call him OMike, and he’ll cut ya!

How many bitcoins could I have mined instead of reading the BBS?

Well, since BB readers are often tech and code savvy, I’m wondering how many of the regulars have a bot programed to spider just enough BB topics and replies to meet the requirement. Seems like it ought to be fairly simple for any coder to set up…

How many bitcoins could a BBS bitcoin miner mine if a BBS bitcoin miner could mine coins?

The default for a regular actually got decreased recently. It used to be higher:

I’m not kidding when I say “I’m not an employee, I just live here”

Never tried for regular. I’m just that socially dependent on the BBS community.

More than 25% of all topics and replies?
:open_mouth:

Not exactly a good fit on BB, which is why it got altered.

Ah, that makes sense. On other forums, setting a % for topics in a sub forum might make sense. BB’s forum category aren’t really of the self-sorting, interested related kind, though.

No, it was still 25% of each, but each is now capped at a certain number (20K replies, and 500 topics). So, since 25% of BB’s posts per hundred days is generally over 20K, the effect is a net reduction in the posts that you need to read to become a Regular.

Yes. Thanks for the clarification.

Could someone explain the difference between “viewed” and “read”, and is viewing merely clicking on a link? Is BB tracking my eye movements?

I’m not sure how I got regular status in the first place, and it probably won’t last, but those numbers seem daunting.

Ixnay. You know he can hear us, right? I was counting on some time to prepare my defense - something along the lines of, "Geez, I was only joking ".

Not so much. Only takes 50 days.

“Viewed” applies to topics, so for a “view” you only have to enter a given topic.

“Read” applies to all the replies in a topic, and it counts each reply as “read” as it appears on your screen.

So a quick scroll down a long thread means that I have read all the replies? (Asking for a friend who really wants to be a regular.)

There’s a blue dot next to each post you haven’t read. It takes a couple of seconds to fade, and I think that if you scroll past it too fast, it will still be there if/when you scroll back.

So, yes, a quick scroll will do it, but I don’t think you can be too quick about it.

Thanks

My feeling is that once earned, a status should not lapse. I think BB readers need breaks: it’s always been a site that looks jaunty and fancy free, but is often focused on harrowing and stressful political/culture war stuff.