How Mondly's language-learning AI helps you speak like a true native

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/14/how-mondlys-language-learnin.html

1 Like

Yo no lo necesito. Tengo idiomas muy bonita.

4 Likes

Wer brauchen ohne zu gebraucht, braucht brauchen gar nicht zu gebrauchen.

1 Like

я нe знаю, что вы говоритe.

What an opaque headline. For the first minute or so, I thought you the AI would teach you to speak AI.

1 Like

You’re welcome to steal my idea. I think a great way to teach a foreign language is to teach the accent first. For instance, to learn German, start with a few weeks of speaking English the way a native German would. You’d get the rhythm and the sound of it, then as you go along, you’d slipstream proper German words in place of the English ones. It would sound much more natural and your diction would be more authentic.

Je parle le français pauvrement mais mon prof a dit moi que mon accent est excellente.

Au moins, je pense que c’est ce qu’elle a dit.

1 Like

1 Like

That is one of the strategies that I used when learning to speak Mandarin in Taiwan. I heard someone refer to it as learning “sentence patterns”. Once you learned a few you could customize them by plugging other vocabulary words into them . It allowed me to walk out of the classroom and have conversations with shopkeepers and taxi drivers that same day.

I did pretty much the same thing when I lived in France for two years. Start out with grammatically correct phrases that don’t grate on the ear of a native speaker, and then modify them slightly in order to communicate your wants, needs, feelings, observations, etc.

2 Likes

We have a Brazilian staying with us that is here for english speaking language school. He swears by this app.

1 Like

Dwi’n trio dysgu i siarad cymraeg.

How’s his English? :joy:

1 Like

This actually worked for me in high school. I used to learn languages as a hobby back then. (OK, I still do now.) Anyway, back then, I was also a theater geek, so I’d practice copying other people’s accents and manerisms. I had a bunch of Russian friends and they said that they understood my English better when I spoke with a Russian accent. (no joke) When I started learning Russian, the accent and the rhythm of the language came very easily. With some other languages, when I feel like I’m not doing well capturing the accent of the language properly, I’ll listen to native speakers of that language speaking English for a bit, and that helps a LOT.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.