How much money does a laundromat make in 2019?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/06/how-much-money-does-a-laundrom.html

2 Likes

I would assume it depends on home much drug money is being laundered through the business?

22 Likes

He posted a follow-up video detailing all of his expenses and income sources for the laundromat thus far; tldr it’s very much in the red at this point, but is making very steady money, so he’s upbeat about it being a small but steady income source over time.

7 Likes

I’m curious how many silver quarters he gets (really hope he looks for them.)

5 Likes

He was delighted to spot a gold one, but aren’t they worthless?

2 Likes

The laundromat may not be making any money, but he likely has a steady income from monetizing his Youtube site?

10 Likes

Just went to find out… novelty item and only worth face value.

7 Likes

Like so many things on Youtube, a YouTube channel about [activity] earns more money than [activity].

8 Likes

A lot less now then there were when I was a kid. Back then, new quarters weren’t silver but many of the older ones in circulation were. Now one really has to hunt for them.

4 Likes

But wait, isn’t the point of a laundromat to “break even” every year?

Exactly. All those quarters…

3 Likes

If you’re showing up at the bank with rolls of hundreds rather than buckets of quarters might someone be suspicious eventually? Better to do palm readings.

3 Likes

I bet most of the quarters get put back in the change making machine, and then people get $5, $10, or $20 bucks worth of quarters and use them in the washer/dryers.

I guess some people bring in quarters, but some will also take home the remainder they didn’t use, so I am guessing that the owner is going to the bank (strip club?) with mostly bills, but some quarters.

10 Likes

A bunch of fast food shops in my home town got a change of management after the police became suspicious of a chap going door to door with a large hold-all, that got lighter after each visit. It turned out he was delivering cash for a gang as part of a money laundering ring. Obviously this laundromat owner is playing the game on hard mode. Good for him .

11 Likes

He could have a side business in money laundering. There ought to be some synergy there, no?

2 Likes

And when he does almost break even, he now has a very handy track record of youtube videos to back up his calculations.

4 Likes

In the seventy’s, there was a guy up the street who bought a laundromat, he was doing well. Until he was busted buy the Bell System security folks. Turned out, he was robbing pay phones almost every night, and using the laundromat deposits as cover.

7 Likes

He seems to have got a knack for finding various marginally profitable activities, each requiring a few hours’ work a week. Only natural to bundle it all into a YouTube channel!

The problem that emerges is usually hidden work piling up. The accounting, things that need fixing right now, the endless driving around, inherently adversarial relationships with customers/tenants/law, all the standard things that makes landlords and handyman types go crazy.

13 Likes

As an “aspiring” artist type I always get a little worried about how many artists I follow seem to be mostly selling tutorials to other “aspiring” artists…

5 Likes

“Someone put a bunch of Tide Pods in there…”

My local laundromat in Tijuana got a bank of new-ish front-loading liquid detergent ewashers, and the older ladies won’t stop filling them with powdered detergent, no matter how often management tells them not to.

“Soap machines”

I almost heard soup machines. I want a soup machine.

4 Likes

When I was a student at The Ohio State there was a laundromat that had a liquor license. That way you could put a load in the washer and walk over to the bar and watch TV and drink a beer.

12 Likes