How one man ran a company according to the Golden Rule

[Read the post]

Unfortunately, Arthur Nash was a masochist who felt that he worked best when suspended from the ceiling by fish hooks…

5 Likes

I hate that part about the old guy.

1 Like

Did anyone else read the title as “How one man ran a company according to the Golden Ratio” and come here hoping for some really wack-a-doodle numerology?

7 Likes

Check out the recent example of the Market Basket grocery stores:

Not strictly the Golden Rule but certainly it approaches what could be called Gandhian economics where the owners of a business serve as as trustees of a community asset rather than exploiters.

2 Likes

I thought all companies ran off the Golden Rule…
“He with the gold, rules.”

2 Likes

Yup, I’ve always said the Golden Rule had a loophole for sadomasochists.

You need to add a more organic ‘treat others as you’re best able to determine they wan to be treated, and don’t just assume you’re right about that’ sort of disclaimer.

4 Likes

It seems he did after a fashion, at least from what I gathered from the podcast. The workers were heavily involved in decisions that affected then.

That combined with his near-obsession with not accumulating any wealth of his own struck me as being nearly anarcho-syndicalist. Except he wasn’t saying so.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.