How Russia pulled off a cyberwar invasion of America, according to the New York Times

A foreign nation’s intelligence agencies manipulating US elections matter even if the manipulation is successful.

4 Likes

Pardon my bianary outlook where “Trump is kicked out on his ass matters” and “all hope for democracy goes in the shitter” does not matter.

1 Like

Good one!!!
(If that’s what you meant to write.)

1 Like

It’s a chick.

1 Like

Actually -seeing the contents- of the reported CIA findings would be a great first step. In fact, I think it’s the only one.

Much to the NYT’s dismay I suppose, it does not have the power to force a president out of office by printing a story. Their colleagues over at the Post could have told them that they’ve been trying that for years and it doesn’t work.

They released what was hacked from the DNC, but not what they got from the RNC. So what do they have, holding over the heads of Trump and all the people he is appointing?

4 Likes

Oh, they’ll pay a much heavier price than they paid for, you know, annexing the Crimea by force.

After all, this is Podesta’s Gmail account they fucked with this time!!!

You might even say they’ve crossed a red line.

I think ya missed the money quote, Xeni.

Mr. Obama was briefed regularly on all this, but he made a decision that many in the White House now regret: He did not name Russians publicly, or issue sanctions. There was always a reason: fear of escalating a cyberwar, and concern that the United States needed Russia’s cooperation in negotiations over Syria.

“We’d have all these circular meetings,” one senior State Department official said, “in which everyone agreed you had to push back at the Russians and push back hard. But it didn’t happen.”So the Russians escalated again — breaking into systems not just for espionage, but to publish or broadcast what they found, known as “doxing” in the cyberworld.

If the hacking helped elect Trump, the Obama administration was an enabler. But I suppose it was worth it, given the great help we got from the Russians in Syria.

2 Likes

Almost as if we’re living in a John Grisham novel…

FTFY…

4 Likes
4 Likes

While things are dire, the fact that there was clear foreign manipulation of the election is one of the most effective things that could be used to fight Trump’s work to throw democracy in the shitter. It matters more than ever now.

4 Likes

Okay. What the hell is going on here.

A similar thing to this for highly related reasons.

2 Likes

Who are these people who are in favor of Putin, knowing what we now know?

If you support despotic rule and the slaughter of innocents, you don’t get to call yourself an American anymore.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Most definitely.

2 Likes

Have you seen the facts, or have you just read stories about facts that are not available to the public?

If the former, can you disclose?

I don’t know. He seems like an ok guy. Case of mistaken identify perhaps?

3 Likes

If over a dozen governmental and independent, nonpartisan security agencies all state that there’s clear foreign manipulation of the election, what sort of “facts” beyond report after report do we need to make a judgement? Do we need a stack of printed-out findings delivered by courier?

3 Likes