How stoned is too stoned to drive?

I wish it were that easy. The key challenges are habituation and variable response.

A sober regular stoner could have latent cannabis in the blood sufficient to make a first time user significantly intoxicated.

2 Likes

I think that’s a little unfair. It’s true that the governments and lawyers benefit, but the reality is that when one is piloting 2+ tons of guided missile it’s not unreasonable to expect the pilot to be on top of his or her game.

2 Likes

This study in Nature compares startle response in habituated MDMA, habituated cannabis, and non-drug users. It shows that cannabis users have a depressed startle rate compared to both MDMA (who startle more easily) and non-drug users.

So, even though a habituated user may not “feel high” they still will have the latent effects of continued cannabis use, and those include a slowed response rate. That’s not a safe thing for driving, and it may be affecting regular users even when they just standardly use (without seeking a stronger high). This study (possibly the first of its kind) didn’t test for any effect abstinence might have on response time. The time between the last dose taken and test occurred is included in the study information.

2 Likes

Years ago to prove an acquaintance wrong I submitted myself to speed test using an app that tracks how fast you can tap once the screen changes color. I actually scored higher* while stoned than when sober.

So based off of my anecdotal evidence, reaction time is not the best way to track sobriety/inebriation.

*seriously no pun intended.

1 Like

Interesting study, thanks for sharing.

I’d like to point out that you are referring to a single trend in the study that “disappeared in more reliable measures of startle reactivity, such as the first block of PA or the overall mean of all PAs.”

It was insignificant enough that it wasn’t mentioned in the abstract, introduction, or conclusion.

Clearly you are quite interested in and/or were introduced to it by someone who had interest in demonstrating harm from regular cannabis use.

So in conclusion it has not been demonstrated that latent cannabis levels in a regular user affect performance. In fact this study does more to contradict what you claim than support it.

4 Likes

Do you know how easy it is to get a driver’s license? I do. When I got my CA license when I was 20, for whatever reason it took me three times to pass the written test. The third time was the “oral test,” where you received a piece of paper with pictures of street signs and listened to a tape recording of a person describing a street sign. The sheet had a picture of a yield sign and it would ask if it meant “stop.” If the description matched the picture, you put an “X” for “yes.”

There are worse problems than weed out on the road, it’s just that cannabis is identifiable so therefore there must be a crime. And I’m pretty sure driving missiles around is a special pleading.

2 Likes

I can’t tell you if one joint is going to make you high to the point where you can’t drive
…
And if you are going to consume any amount of cannabis, don’t drive.

That’s right, copper, you can’t tell me. But since booze is the only drug I consume that significantly impairs my ability to tell how impaired my abilities are, I can say that virtually any amount of weed I consume will still leave me with more competence than >90% of the other drivers on the road.

Any sort of regulation of stoned driving that fails to take into account the vast gulf between someone who’s stoned all the time and someone who’s stoned for the first time, is an extremely blunt instrument.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by that. What is inescapable, however, is that driving a car is actually serious and potentially dangerous business. In an instant you can alter or end someone’s life forever because of your stupidity and carelessness. There may be some worse problems than driving stoned but that does not make driving stoned OK. Or driving drunk, or talking on a cell phone, or putting on make up, or shaving, or…

1 Like

You’re welcome.

If you’ll go back and read the introduction, you’ll find that it wasn’t mentioned because the study was actually looking for information on MDMA and receptors. It wasn’t a study on cannabis. The information about cannabis is incidental. I posted the study here because no other similar studies exist (and I mentioned that).

The object of this experiment was to investigate the functional status of the serotonergic system of chronic but recently abstinent users of MDMA by using measurement of PPI of ASR as a functional marker of the central 5-HT system.

I suggest you go back to the study and view the Startle Reactivity section and figure 3 - which is not the one you posted here with your pull-quote. Those two items are not related. In fact, your quote doesn’t even say what you want it to appear to say at all.

Figure 3 shows the general startle reactivity measured in three variables: the initial PA trial, the first block of PA, and the overall mean of all PAs. ANOVA performed for the groups showed no significant differences in these variables. However, there was a weak trend: the initial PA trial produced less startle reaction in the cannabis group than did the MDMA group (t(31)=-1.5; p=0.15 (two tailed)) and the healthy controls (t(31)=-1.5; p=0.15 (two tailed)). This trend disappeared in more reliable measures of startle reactivity, such as the first block of PA or the overall mean of all PAs.

So it’s comparing both “control” and “cannabis” to “MDMA” - the group actually being tested. What you posted was differences at different volumes. The different tests show consistent results.

Last bit - There’s nothing wrong me with pointing out the facts about using machinery while on drugs that reduce response time on a thread about that topic. It doesn’t mean I’m out to get anyone or that I, or someone I know, has “interest in demonstrating harm from regular cannabis use” - that’s just silly.

4 Likes

Marijuana THC content before ingestion is not the issue. And, in fact, your alcohol analogy doesn’t even hold up - mixed drinks at a bar, restaurant, or pub can vary greatly in alcohol content depending on the bartender.

The issue is: at what THC blood level does it become dangerous to drive? This is what needs to measured scientifically.

2 Likes

Although it’s far from a perfect test, my lap times on Gran Turismo suffer a bit when I’m really stoned.

IIRC it’s on the order of 1-2%.

3 Likes

One real hard thing is that, even with alcohol, different people have seriously different levels of impairment at the same BAC. This difference in tolerance in enormously greater with weed. In my personal experience (again YMMV), when smoking it, pretty much no matter how much I smoke, if I wait two hours, I’m basically sober, and can do things like driving again. I don’t eat it, because I’ve found that to have extremely unpredictable effects.

1 Like

Differences in individual tolerance are enormously greater than with alcohol, and they are significant with booze (I wouldn’t drive at half the legal BAC limit for alcohol, personally), so there’s no way to set a blood level. I think field sobriety tests would be a much more reasonable way to determine if someone is too impaired to drive.

2 Likes

Each to their own, but I feel you are missing out.

its virtually impossible to gauge how much of an intoxicant is in the product before consumption

Proper smokers buy a big bag… we’re into efficiency. The added benefit is that you know what to expect until you get the next bag, and if you get off a regular source you also have a fair ability of knowing what kind of stuff you’re getting in advance.

as most cannabis products are home made

This is a result of prohibition. The edibles you purchase in CA have a regulated dose per candy. I know because a friend of a friend took some with him to Singapore before bringing them to Australia on another flight for me to eat.

1 Like

Plus the current laws in Australia mean that if there’s a detectable level in your system they bust you. Since I smoke most days it would literally take months (2-3) for it to fall to undetectable levels if I stopped cold turkey today (which I wont).

In one way I don’t want legalisation here because it would mean the pigs have to put more resources into catching me.

4 Likes

There seems to be some popular misconception here that being high on marijuana is in any way comparable to being drunk. The two are completely different.
I should mention that here in Washington state, some of the biggest opponents to legalization were medical marijuana groups who thought that it shouldn’t be legalized until the standards for “DUIs” were adjusted. Patients were pointing out that they could take a legitimate medical dose in the evening and still get arrested for driving while intoxicated the next day.
All of this is because marijuana has been demonized for so long and intoxication arrests are a massive source of revenue for both the state and private businesses.

4 Likes

People get in accidents all the time for all sorts of reasons. That’s why they’re called accidents and not on-purposes.
I don’t get high anymore but I’m afraid that now marijuana is legal where I’m from, the law will reflect the attitude that THC is some sort of dangerous drug. It’s not. Never was. Never will be.

Sorry to post this to you Teapot, but actually it’s just not true that the levels are standardized for edibles in the U.S. A series of tests run by The Cannbist on edibles showed that dosage was highly erratic, and not just from one company. Here’s a quick view list of some variations.

Most often, doses are low, but occasionally, doses are high - so you never really know what you’re getting. Standardized testing for thc as an active ingredient just doesn’t exist here.

2 Likes

Equally true for sober people though, innit?

5 Likes

Good to know!

My only experience with commercial edibles has been that one I described, and the product was labelled exactly as they mentioned in your post. I foolishly presumed that (since the argued case is medicine in CA) the manufacturers wouldn’t be able to lie about its ingredients. I am blown away that so many of these contain laughable levels of THC. That seems like cause for legal action, since you’re getting 1/20th (or less) of what you paid for.

2 Likes