How the introduction of the push-button in the late 19th century freaked people out

The obvious solution is to bring back big knife switches, the kind that sizzle a bit, to restore the user’s relationship with electricity.

5 Likes

Not always easy in mixed communities:

1 Like

Knobs and buttons together, however … :wink:

(Though many do allege the button is a bad user interface when faced with a knob.)

1 Like

" Now Ellie, you can’t throw the main switch by hand. You’ve got to pump up the primer handle in order to get the charge. It’s large, flat, and gray…"

2 Likes

That’s not a knob, it’s a dial. The dial was the only way to transmit a number over a telephone wire for about 50 years.

6 Likes

picture-219299-1401964756

4 Likes

I used to live within the South Hampstead eruv and the Brondesbury eruv and unless you knew that there was a border you would be hardpressed to even notice.

This is one image from Streetview that shows the wire. Google Maps

Best sort of religious practice in my view, means something to the believers and is no inconvenience to the non-believer.

5 Likes

Yes, if we must have them at all (religious practices - esp public ones)

1 Like

This then spirals down into absurdity really quickly. Take the Eruv, for example. It was decided that within an Eruv (specially designated building), normally prohibited Sabbath activities are allowed. Then later it was decided that “building” just meant “enclosure” which then devolved to “anything physical surrounding an area”. This then led to putting up literal strings around entire sections of cities so that everyone in that area could ignore Sabbath. Like, say, all of west Los Angeles.

When they were doing some construction on the 405 in LA a while back, they worked with local Jewish leaders to make sure the giant Eruv that surrounds West LA wasn’t broken. They carefully moved all the magic wires and kept them from being broken.

As you say, this kind of thing is not unique to Judaism by any stretch. Orthodoxy in all forms is pretty much by definition riddled with nonsense like this. It’s the only direction it has to go. Once you’ve decided God is fooled by strings on lampposts, well, it’s not really about the claimed precepts of the religion anymore.

5 Likes

Some gods hate rules lawyers, and others admire the creativity of the human spirit. Which god do you want to follow (bearing in mind that your preferences may have been subtly manipulated by indoctrination)

1 Like

The red button there, kid. Don’t ever touch the red button.

1 Like

Reset Button GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

Ha-ha - dumb God, boy did we get one over on you… (oh, wait…)

As you say - absurdity … riddled with nonsense.

Actually, I’m going to save that for the next time I’m confronted with an orthdoxist:

“Oh yes, it’s hard not to respect a religion that thinks its God is fooled by strings on lampposts. Well done you guys.” (With an encouraging smile and no trace of sarcasm.)

1 Like

“We don’t know! Maaaaybe something bad! Maaaaybe something good! I guess we’ll never know! Because you’re going to guard it ! You won’t touch it, will you?”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.