How they make the sounds for "Halo Infinite"

Originally published at: How they make the sounds for "Halo Infinite" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I wish they would make some new levels and something interesting for Halo Infinite.

2 Likes

I have the deepest respect for the Foley artists, wouldn’t be the Movies without it.

3 Likes

True, foley is just as important as VFX. Maybe more so, because if I turn away from the screen I can still follow the movie just by the audio.

But I wish they’d dial back on the Wilhelm Scream. It used to be funny, but then I tuned my ears to catch it. Lately it’s just become a prick in the bubble of “willing suspension of disbelief”. When it popped up near the end of this video, I disengaged.

1 Like

I first became conscious of sound design with the release of Star Wars. See how those amazing sounds were created was captivating.

1 Like

Um, no, 99.9% of video games get their sounds by buying sound libraries. Music is generally written by a composer, either in-house or contracted, but it’s extremely rare for games to do their own foley. A project like Halo might do it because they have infinite money and nothing else to do with it, but it’s far from the norm.

Source: I was in the industry for 24 years.

3 Likes

That was actually very interesting. I have been fascinated by the art of sound design for years.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.