How this teen's life changed after deleting all social media

It’s weird phrasing though.

A 17 year old being told by a Medium editor to add more concrete results to his story, and watching stuff like Dr. Oz and Alex Jones for ideas, maybe. Quitting social media will cure your ills! You’ll lose weight! Your skin will clear up! Just delete those apps today and take back your life!

3 Likes

I was also under the impression that only old people use Facebook these days.

Then again, if he was a little older, all that extra free time would probably be taken up by drinking. That’s what people used to do before they spent all their time on the Internet, isn’t it?

5 Likes

Also $20 was a lot of money.

6 Likes

“One fifth of my body weight” versus 50 pounds?* It’s an unnatural turn of phrase, even if there are concrete results. Losing 50 pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

*Reasonable guesstimate, unless he is morbidly obese

3 Likes

Yep.

My first memory of gas prices was when my brother was driving me somewhere, and he needed gas but only had $5. $5 filled the tank about 2/3 of the way.

Let’s not even get into what $20 could buy you at the Waffle House at that time. Suffice it to say, I haven’t been in a Waffle House in decades.

6 Likes

And good luck getting all our friends to kick social media at the same time and go back to organizing everything on the phone. People don’t even trade phone numbers any more. You don’t meet somebody IRL and get their number later, everybody knows each other from Facebook now.

There would have to be like a twelve-step group for quitting Facebook. We’d have to teach classes.

3 Likes

They call your phone, usually, and then you save the contact. The actual number doesn’t even change hands.

It’s a good thing, because there are far too many area codes now, and some people still have their old area code from 10-20 years ago (and thousands of miles away) on their cell phone.

4 Likes

But how do they have your number?

They don’t.

1. You use their phone to call your phone.
  2. They save the last outgoing number in contacts.

So, they no longer have to remember your number, and you don’t even have to write it down or speak it out loud.

4 Likes

Oh my god I’m old.

9 Likes

What kind of monster are you CALLING someone’s cell phone!?
Dude!
TEXT me! Or DM. Don’t call me! Phone calls are for when someones died ONLY!

17 Likes

That’s right.

Young people don’t do voice calls ever.

6 Likes

The number of prospective students that ask me if they can “skype” me or “facetime, whatever works for you” and seriously upset when I say I’m available by phone or email. LOL - I do not understand the fear of the phone and the embracing of the video calls…

10 Likes

I still have a 2G phone. And the sound quality is not good.

So I can relate. But probably that is not the same issue as theirs.

3 Likes

I will say that Skype is a godsend for anyone suffering hearing loss.

Beyond that, Skype is a drain on my CPU. On the computer I’m at now, we’re required to have Skype, even though we are not allowed to do video communication. Skype makes everything drag ass when it’s active. It’s always a little active, but when I’m in a Skype conversation, everything else grinds to a standstill.

3 Likes

I was just about to say this. My two teenage nephews are never farther than five feet from their phones, and the only time I’ve ever seen either one actually call someone is to talk to a parent, and even then, they acted like it was a breach of protocol. Text, DM (twitter or FB), Telegram, or a quick Skype/FaceTime are the way they’re used. One of them absolutely refuses to pick up land-line phones when they ring.

6 Likes
7 Likes

I grew up in what was then a sparsely populated area code. Each town had only a handful* of three-digit exchanges, followed by four random digits. Long distance charges applied for calling within the same area code as well.

*well… if it was a big town.

3 Likes

Yo, BB. This guy is using social media to tell you how he quit social media. PUT IT TOGETHER BOING BOING.

8 Likes