New York teens have started their own anti-smart phone Luddite movement

Originally published at: New York teens have started their own anti-smart phone Luddite movement | Boing Boing

13 Likes

“When I got my flip phone, things instantly changed,” Lola continued. “I started using my brain. It made me observe myself as a person. I’ve been trying to write a book, too. It’s like 12 pages now.”

if flip phone → 12 pages, just imagine what a candle stick would promote!

(“well at least one would come to understand the origin of terms like ‘hang up on’ and ‘off the hook’”)

25 Likes

I liked my little flip phone. Thought it was cool how I could open it like a Star Trek communicator. Had a hard time texting with it. Finally that old messaging standard was going away and I got my first smart phone. Still kind of behind the tech, maybe I’ll upgrade when 5g comes this way.

16 Likes

I had a startac and had original series communicator sound as my ringtone. This was a the pinnacle of human communication technology. It’s been downhill since then. (still have the communicator sound as my text notification sound).

16 Likes

This is utterly charming and, in my opinion, quite necessary in this modern, too-tech age.

So, how do I follow them?
/s

17 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out how to justify the purchase of one of these:

Not sure why the pics didn’t load, but here’s a preview

15 Likes

I guess I’m glad if people enjoyed this but, like… you do realise it’s a patronising bedtime story for boomers, right?

11 Likes

Link from the other thread.

5 Likes

honestly, this sounds to me like the phone equivalent of vowing abstinence until married.

7 Likes

“We’ve all got this theory that we’re not just meant to be confined to buildings and work. And that guy was experiencing life. Real life. Social media and phones are not real life.”

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

16 Likes

My favorite phone of all time was a purple-pink Blackberry Style 9670. I used it until they phased out 3G. I wish I could get a 5G version, running Android.
It was easy to use, fit in a front pocket (even the tiny jeans pockets for women), and I loved the physical keyboard. I really hate the slab phone design and would go to a flip phone except for the awful texting on a number pad thing.
(I’m waiting to see the longer term performance on Samsung’s folding-screen phones before jumping in).

5 Likes

I’m assuming they’re a bunch of rich kids who will never really struggle for anything their whole lives.

2 Likes

Puzzling tone of condescension in the BB article.

Weird take, I’m getting more of that vibe from the comments. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

17 Likes

14 Likes
9 Likes

Just do it, and it better be seafoam.

13 Likes

Same here: It was small enough not leave an unsightly bulge, and light enough to not drag your pants down on one side when pocketed.

4 Likes

Flip phone, smartphone, whatever. I’m less worried about whether it’s a negative influence on my life (it’s not, though, IMO) and more about why I can’t seem to find a phone with a battery that lasts an entire day. Although now that I think about it, those small screens wouldn’t do very well with streamed video, so I guess I’ll deal with both edges of this double-edged sword.

4 Likes

Here ya go!

6 Likes