New York teens have started their own anti-smart phone Luddite movement

Weird take, I’m getting more of that vibe from the comments.

Weird take, since several of the comments follow the cues of the original article. (The insistence on “charming” – the commenter adds a sarcasm mark, just to be clear about the tone – the fixation on “Twelve. Pages.” and so on.)

Getting all nostalgic thinking about my own pretentious teen years and the copy of Ecce Homo I would tote around.

That’s a great brand.

7 Likes

16 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF

5 Likes

The kids are not wrong about Krakauer

That’s a good book, and it’s about a lot of other things besides a hippie kid who died in the woods

1 Like

Good for them for figuring it out, but then they fell into a false dichotomy about it.

You can be present and have a real life while still also being able to get navigation and text people on a normal keyboard. Just stop using social media and leave the phone in your pocket. Using flip phones as some sort of performative stunt nowadays is just throwing the baby out with the bath water.

5 Likes

That doesn’t look like a quickly put together design. This is made by a real-deal technologist that loves to design cool things

3 Likes

FWIW I was being earnest in my appreciation for the earnestness of these kids. Whether they’re pioneers or rich kids trying to be counter cultural or something in between that’s trying to over correct, I was genuinely charmed by fact that this clique exists at all.

11 Likes

Me too! Except it’s always silenced.

3 Likes

A friend of mine from WayBack (he was a tax inspector, shh) was forcibly introduced to computers in (early 90’s? I think). The installers of said computers demanded he use a password. Naturally, he chose ‘Luddite’.

2 Likes

And it’s hackable.
Shame I don’t have the money to buy one, otherwise I’d have an Atomic Red one already.

I should check out just how thick the thing is first. It appears to be more than twice as thick as those flip-phones, actually, probably close to the Sony Z600, one of which I’ve still got upstairs. I’ve now got an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and that’s a much more comfortable phone to carry, because it’s slim and flat and fits into the front pocket of every pair of jeans, shorts, whatever that I have, whereas the Sony was a big chunky lump in my front pocket, which I still had to flip open to use. You wouldn’t want to put one of those flip-phones in a back pocket, then try to sit down…

Flip Phone?

I started with an actual car phone that was mounted in in the car followed by a bag phone and then a Startac.

That Startac flip phone was the last mobile phone that gave you the same satisfaction as slamming down a traditional receiver when you flipped it closed with your hand.

@hecep Seafoam, good stuff, almost miracle level good stuff.

3 Likes

I’m still mad that e-ink phones never took off. A phone where I can use battery-friendly e-ink for 80% of my interactions and a normal screen for the rest would be ideal. But all the ones that existed disappeared from the market again.

I have to say, I am intrigued by this new solution, though…

3 Likes

I have a regular iPhone 14. About 30% of it fits in the front pocket of any pair of jeans I own.

Men get usable pockets on their trousers. Women get pretend pockets that clothing manufacturers can point at and say “see, we gave you pockets, quit complaining about how uselessly small they are or we’ll give you none”. :rage:

6 Likes

The IPhone14 costs as much as 302 beers!
Make the right decision.

(Innsbruck, December 2022)

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.