How to boil water in prison

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/25/how-to-boil-water-in-prison.html

1 Like

Also works to cook hot dogs …and make pickles glow. and/or what moıst materials present roughly 100 ohms of resistance? (or roughly twice that for the lands of 230vAC) (next up on Don’t Do This!: drano and aluminum foil make a happy 'spolsive hydrogen floaty balloon)

4 Likes

ex-jewel thief

When do we decide to include that label?

In this case, do you have to make a conscious decision to stop stealing jewels? Would being incarcerated (and physically unable to continue stealing) be enough to justify the “ex” on its own?

Can you ever be an ex-murderer or are you always still a murderer, even if you never kill again?

4 Likes

was doing this as a student in cheap hotel rooms to boil water for coffee. A couple of double edge razor blades, a plastic button and some thread, a wire, and 220V AC - a cup of water boils in 7 seconds. Then you can use a few of the copper strands from your power cable to patch the blown fuse. :slight_smile: Applied electrical engineering FTW.

14 Likes

an electrical code

I think that’s electrical cord, because it sure isn’t according to the electrical code!

10 Likes

Does he wear a shirt with his own quote on it?

1 Like

yes.

Cooking in a metal paint can, with no ground and lots of conductive water in a place where the breakers are heavily abused…yeah that’s not going to blow up in someones face eventually.

3 Likes

Would you prefer “recovering jewel thief?”

I think the difference is “jewel thief” is a vocation and “murderer” is not. So you can be a “former hitman” but not a “former murderer.”

15 Likes

Wait, I thought everyone did that! Next you are gunna suggest cutting the arms of a shirt is not the coolest?
Isn’t it?

3 Likes

I think the “but you fuck one goat” rule applies here.

9 Likes

9 Likes

You can buy a immersion water heater to make a cup of coffee or tea for about $7.

7 Likes

Don’t fuck it up.

NeLZ

5 Likes

Come on, I am not a crazy person!

1 Like

2 Likes

True, here and now. But 30 years ago they were much more expensive and I had much less money to spend on things for occasional use, and the stores back in the old country weren’t stocked nearly as well as they are now.

2 Likes

I like this guy alright.

I’ve used home electroplating (an end stripped electrical chord and a small piece of foil)
to make art.

2 Likes

It’s a plastic bucket, I think, if that makes any difference?

At about 10:45

Not that that makes the whole thing safe, of course.

1 Like

This is a very christian attitude; that “sin”, once committed, is a permanent state.