How to build a Viking camp chair

My first thought as well. I am fortunate that I very rarely have to work with treated lumber these days. The splinters that I don’t remove immediately and stayed in for more than a few hours almost always were red and irritated at the very least.

2 Likes

You are not going to leave your collapsible camp chair out in the elements anyway. It’s not like this is a deck or even patio furniture, it’s supposed to be out away at the end of the day. I struggle to see the advantage of treated wood here as well.

On another note this thing looks heavy! At the very least I would have cut carrying handles into the two pieces at the edge, on their centre of gravity. That way you could easily carry them like two suitcases. Even better would be to also carve out some material from the slabs, lightening them without jeopardising their structure. Even if these chairs have nothing to do with “Vikings” it might be fun to carve out some medieval Scandinavian inspired tracery.

And if you have a Shaper Origin, this looks like the perfect canvas for it.

1 Like

I will miss Midtgardsblot this year. My parents were among the people that went to the first Borre viking marked back in the early 90s, and I’ve been to every one of them since (as a Viking). My father eventually dropped out, but my mom and a friend has a nice tent - and said friend is a tailor, conveniently.

Midtgardsblot has become a kind of off-season thing for us: You can get in for free if you’re in the Viking camp and appropriately dressed, so we pre-register, drag a tent out there, show up and drink beer (and mead) and listen to music we don’t otherwise seek out. It’s a very pleasant and friendly little festival. :slight_smile:

(The tents we use lets you prop a side wall up as an awning, they’re neat.)

1 Like

I just took that course a couple of months ago! It was called “basic hand tools” but included chisel sharpening.

1 Like

A well-appointed woodworking shop is such an inspiration.

2 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing, and thanks for the information.

It may be that the design is so old that the origin will always be a mystery.

1 Like

…Or sew a combination bag, seat cushion for it. But by that time you put that much work in, you could make something lighter. NB you DO want a pretty loose joint,so that it doesn’t get stuck when the wood swells as it gets wet overnight.

Picture of the kind of chair you are likely talking about can be found here:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/wood.shtml

What? A collapsible Viking chair, and no one’s making any reference to IKEA?? Where do you think Ingvar Kamprad got the idea?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.