How to Capitalize Headlines, Codified in a Flowchart

But the paper is not called Guardian, it is called The Guardian.

The flowchart correctly depicts a ruleset which is dumb.

2 Likes

Not according to the Guardian, it’s not.

https://www.theguardian.com/about

2 Likes

And yet the logo disagrees every time. And it is certainly not called “Guardian”. So I’ll take “the Guardian” as a style issue not a grammatical one. YMMV. :wink:

1 Like

Unless your family has lived in America for 360 years and the name has changed spelling at least twice. Gotta admit, I do get annoyed when someone decides to spell my Dutch last name with a lower case “v”. Especially since the second part isn’t spelled using the current Dutch spelling.

As is customary with English anything, this ruleset isn’t even the half of it. Particularly regarding prepositions. How would one capitalize that last clause, for instance? “Regarding” is a preposition! Most people would capitalize it in spite of its prepositionness simply because it’s long; one common additional rule says you should capitalize any word longer than five letters. So what about “in spite of”? It’s functioning here as a preposition as well - does “spite” merit capitalization or not? More importantly, how do I get a high-paying job with an unfinished M.A. in linguistics

2 Likes

See also “underneath” and “notwithstanding”.

And “notwithstanding” is often used as a postposition, too. “Ago” as well. I wonder if the lowercasing rule would apply for all adpositions.

1 Like

Can we just have Esperanto now?

1 Like

He is clearly using a small-caps font, and thus his title is written perfectly according to the rules outlined in the chart.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.