How to clean your Coleman stove

Point out the fact that the small one pound propane bottles are wasteful, expensive and that it is illegal (in the US) to refill and then transport them. It’s also hard to find places that will take them for recycle.

When someone objects to liquid fueled appliances in our troop, I also point out the physical characteristics of propane. Namely that it has to be compressed at room temperature or it will boil away and that it works poorly (stays liquid) at temps that are near freezing. Which is potentially more dangerous? A propane cylinder pressurized to 200 psi or a naphtha stove, usually pumped to less than 20 psi, unless you have a strong thumb.

If you have someone who claims that that liquid fueled stoves are banned by the BSA, point them to the 2010 BSA chemical fuel guidelines, which expressly recommend liquid fuels like camp fuel. Assuming you are in the US of course. Individual Councils and camps might ban them, but nationally they do not.

2 Likes

2010 BSA chemical fuel guidelines.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss06.aspx

4 Likes

My Canadian 442 single burner just has a plastic bracket to hold the cap once it’s open. It’s never been a problem and I’d hate to misplace the cap in a less-then-pristine camping spot.

I know a college senior that can’t fill a bicycle tire, nor can he read an oil dipstick, or change a tire, and apparently can’t even check you tube for how to’s. It’s kind of lazy, but additionally he is mechanically disinclined??

We use single burner stoves just because they’re lighter and easier to clean. Plus the dual burner stoves are far too heavy for backwoods hiking. That said, if you have more than two people and you need to grill up breakfast for a family or a party, the dual burners are easier than setting up two single burner stoves.

We use both types, but I never leave the coleman at home when car camping. Would camping be the same without it?

And then other people are like:

1 Like

I have used the propane kitchen in my VW for years and just decided to take the Coleman out, so folks I am camping with don’t need to wake me up if they want to cook something. I think the Coleman is hotter and simmers better than the built in stove in my bus.

This one is brown/bronze. I don’t trust kerosene, my impression is that it will tend to clog the parts inside. I poured out all the fluid inside and am letting it air out, hopefully evaporate all the kerosene.

Would have been nice to find an old Svea stove, but I think the metal-hounds grab all those for the brass.

I only bought it out of nostalgia-- I had given away my original Peak One years ago (still better than MSR stoves in my opinion, which always spill fuel), I switched over to butane a few years ago, and was using homemade soda-can alcohol stoves too (on a long hike, if you end up re-supplying at a gas station, alcohol gas additives like Heet are always available.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.