Stainless steel cookset

[Read the post]

1 Like

I look at these stoves all the time when Iā€™m in Mountain Equipment Co-op. Iā€™m really interested to know how the charging works. Let us know if you give it a shot?

The MEC, where I go, always have a post up selling those stoves. Theyā€™re considered trifle survival stoves.

Stanley Adventure Camp cook set, not so much. In fact very useful.

I got one when it first came out and have used it in the field. Its held up since then, Iā€™m not gentle with it, so the build quality on mine was decent. If I had one pre-family Iā€™d likely would have used it a lot more but now, with a family, I find it a bit small & under powered for our needs so I use it mostly for boiling water and charging devices. I wouldnā€™t use it as your main stove but it does work well enough for what it is - a reasonably efficient stove that burns wood with USB charging ports.

EDIT: I should likely clarify that Iā€™m no longer a hardcore, every ounce counts kind of backpacker anymore. I donā€™t do ā€œglampingā€ but I do like nearby toilets in my middle age. So no this stove is not for ā€œseriousā€ backpackers but as an auxiliary stove that can charge your gadgets when you can afford a bit of extra weight or when car camping? I think this stove is perfectly acceptable for that.

2 Likes

From here, it looks like itā€™s designed for backyard ā€˜campingā€™ (maybe, like, good for heating up hot chocolate).

Also, compared to other cheaper offerings (it even comes with a fire-starter!), it seems a little, uh, under-powered.

Actually, while I do believe that there are quite a few ā€˜idealā€™ backpacking/camping stoves out there, Iā€™ve yet to come across a cooking kit so good that Iā€™d almost spend any amount for it.

1 Like

Thanks, thatā€™s helpful!

1 Like

I did a backyard campout with my son a little more than 20 years ago. Built a campfire on the lawn and cooked lunch on a hobo stove made from a 2 lb coffee can. Had storms that night so we slept on the living room floor and toasted marshmallows in the fireplace. Heā€™s 30 now

Tonight I had 2 glasses of wine instead of the usual 1. Anyway, I thought the title said ā€œStainless steel _cock_set.ā€

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.