How to cook perfect hard-boiled eggs

Cook it for the right length of time you say.
Great, I’ll try that!

Obligs:

6 Likes

I second the instant pot. But if you do multiple batches, start with a cup of fresh water each time (I learned this the hard way).

2 Likes

Vinegar. Just a bit in the boiling water.

Thank you for sharing that chart. It looks like a great guide!

I’ve never understood the point of chalky, dry yolks. I’ve always preferred poached eggs for that reason. Whenever hard boiled eggs are being served, I hand them off to someone who likes them.

1 Like

It was eleven-thirty in an August evening, the muggy remains of the summer heat still wafting in through my office window as the city silently uttered another prayer for a rain that would wash away the sins of the previous day. I was absorbed in a ritual ablution of my own, but I had a good third of the bottle left when I heard a knock on my door.

The dame walked in like she owned the place, all legs and golden curls dressed up in a fancy red number cut low enough to give Laurel Canyon a run for its money.

“Mr. Spade, I presume.” Her voice purred like the cat that just caught the canary and wasn’t planning to let it go anytime soon. “I have a proposition for you.”

I leaned back in my chair and lit a Durham while my eyes took in the view. “I’m afraid most of the joints in this part of town are already closed for dinner, sweetheart.”

She let a slender set of painted fingers slide into her purse, and when they came out they were holding a pair of round white objects. With a smirk she replied, “…and what about breakfast?”

2 Likes

A more juvenile alternative:

3 Likes

In my experience none of the myriad methods suggested to make eggs easy to peel work. None, including this old chestnut.

I am amazed so many people came up with so many ways to make hard boiled eggs

1 Like

I have one of those but a different brand. It’s awesome. The only quibble I have with it is that the “done” alarm sounds exactly like a smoke detector going off.

It is… not the best possible noise for a kitchen appliance to make.

1 Like

If I’m in Tokyo for breakfast, eggs are going to be pretty low on my list.

1 Like

Saving this for later.

Some of us find runny yolks disgusting. The Talmud teaches us that even the Master of the Universe sets no rules regarding preferences of smell or taste

1 Like

The instructions for brewing a nice cuppa said “soak bag in hot water for 3-4 minutes” and that’s how I ended up in the burn ward.

i’d rather eat like ten onigiri for 500 yen as the clerk looks in a mixture of digust and awe

1 Like

Is peeling eggs really that hard? Perhaps an Youtube tutorial on peeling eggs is needed.

Through the precision cooking of eggs there are several different textures between runny and chalky that can be created.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.