How to destroy an AR-15

1 Like

“Military grade” is a nonsense term made up to scare people. It has no functional meaning.
My old bolt action .303 Enfield is “military grade”. It was probably a military rifle
The M-1 Garands the government used to sell were “military grade battle rifles” that actually got used in battle.
The venerable 1911, the .38 revolver, and the POS M-9 Beretta are all “military grade” handguns.

And before you start yammering and wharrrr-garbling about “powerful man-killing bullets” the AR-15 fires an underpowered cartridge that I can’t even legally use to hunt deer.

Making up crap detracts from the point you’re trying and failing to make. That’s trumpanzee tactics.

1 Like

knowing is half the battle.

I want a few people as possible to die unnecessarily. I also would like to see plans that can actually work to achieve that rather than knee jerk reactions that ban one thing but not another thing, or bans that are unlikely to be enforced, or bans that are impractical to enforce.

Sadly it will always be relatively easy to kill another person (ex: half the deaths in the '92 LA riots were not from guns). Bringing violent death to zero is a nice direction to go but it would take unreasonable measures to get there. I recommend prioritizing our society’s problems and attacking each of those problems with resources proportional to the scale of problem with a consideration of where the resources would do the most good.

I think there are many opinions on what the problem even is, let alone how to solve it. Myself I think most of our gun violence is not really the absolute number of guns but has more to do with attitudes and a violent culture. That’s not to say I suggest we just give up and live with the small chance of being shot, but that the approach we take to correct our society’s problems must go beyond simple prohibition.

I think regulation of ammunition purchase (licensing and background checks) could be effective in ending a lot of gun violence. Can’t fill your 3D printed AR-15 with 50 rounds if you can’t get ammo. But I’m also a cynic and I realize that loopholes would likely be made for military surplus ammo and for reloaders. (honestly I’d make the background checks on purchasing of primers rather than merely ammo. and I’d require serialization of shell cases, as they are valuable and reusable. After-manufacture serialization could be possible with laser etching of some surplus ammo if we’re really committed)

Ultimately the repeal of the 2nd amendment would be required to implement a total ban of firearms. Maybe that’s possible, but I don’t think I will see that in my lifetime given the politics of today. Confiscation of firearms would easily take decades.

Our problem with guns is one that deserves a 50-year plan. And more than just platitudes and dreams, or of flinging of insults between camps.

In the future, please keep your suggestions on how to murder people with vans to yourself.

Absolutely! It’s a good thing we’re not talking about that here. How about a well-thought-out approach to gun control that’s been considered, planned, and outlined for decades, but consistently blocked by the NRA? And one that can help prevent, say, 16 year olds from being able to purchase an AR-15 with no waiting period? I also agree that making ammunition difficult or extraordinarily expensive to obtain would be very helpful.

2 Likes

What a disingenuous comment.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.