HOW TO do this and that in BBS

Okay, how the hell do you strike?

I googled all kinds of stuff about markdown but couldn’t find any mention of it.

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#html

For any markup that is not covered by Markdown’s syntax, you simply use HTML itself. There’s no need to preface it or delimit it to indicate that you’re switching from Markdown to HTML; you just use the tags.

Dammit Woo!

3 Likes

Would some kind of summary of the formatting possibilities linked to on this page even be helpful?

I think I would have appreciated such a document when I first came here but I see reference above to the idiom about those who need help not seeking it.
Also, in my attempt to discover how to format comments on the BBS, I’ve discovered that to fully understand Discourse, I will have to learn Java and Ruby, get a better understanding of programming etc. That sort of self discovery might be more valuable if sought out oneself?

It’s all out there for anyone to google and Stackexchange seems to be a vast and bottomless resource for the interested and inclined party…

I think there might be an interesting philosophical point concerning the value of work underlying this comment but I admit, it’s quite tenuous.

Hmm, I hope that’s not true!

We do need a native formatting help page in Discourse for sure, but for now, hopefully Markdown Editing Help - Super User should suffice!

Mostly I like hearing about (and observing) what people consistently find confusing, have trouble figuring out, etc. This topic is mostly about advanced usage.

My misunderstanding but perhaps also badly worded.
I didn’t mean that as a user I would have to learn programming but I thought I’d read that the resources Discourse was developed with included those languages.

[quote=“chgoliz, post:38, topic:15328”]Watching
You will be notified of every new post within this topic, including replies to your posts and if your @name is mentioned. The count of unread and new posts will also appear next to the topic’s listing.

Tracking
You will be notified of any replies to your posts and also if your @name is mentioned. The count of all unread and new posts will also appear next to the topic’s listing.
[/quote]

The “including replies to your posts” in the first part seems awfully terribly redundant to me, since “every new post within this topic” has to include replies to your posts, doesn’t it?

So I will change to this

Watching
You will be notified of every new post in this topic. The count of unread and new posts will also appear next to the topic’s listing.

Tracking
You will be notified only if someone mentions your @name or replies to your post. The count of unread and new posts will also appear next to the topic’s listing.

1 Like

I think “thread” is a needlessly complex, computer geek word.

Walk up to a person on the street and ask them…

What do you think about that thread?

… and they’re likely to give you {insert cute confused dog picture here} look. Now if you ask them …

What do you think about that topic?

… they might actually understand you.

2 Likes

Perfect!

We also added some better glyphs to help understand tracking and watching:

(that was on a PM so “regular” which has no glyph is not there)

2 Likes

I am running into some bugs here. I can’t undo likes any more…?

1 Like

just liked and unlikes your comment several times - will try liking it and un-liking it later.

1 Like

40 min later and I cannot unlike your post

@Tribune and @MarjaE I cannot remember the time limit, but after a certain amount of time, I believe you cannot unlike comment if you have liked it. @codinghorror can provide more insight.

1 Like

Uut of curiosity do edits reset the timer? i.e. I liked the post telling us you moved stuff, 6 hours later you edit you post to say Wheat Grass based drinks are delicious: Do i get any window to change my like then?

The like undo window is 5 minutes.

@Tribune that does not happen, but it’s a great idea for a future improvement. I’m not entirely sure that you’d know when someone made that change to their post, though.

Is there any way to disable private messages (other than those from mods and other staff)?

Not at this time, no. If there is a problem please flag the PM so moderators can intervene. (PMs are just like regular topics for the most part, except only visible to the recipients)

No problem, I just prefer to keep discussions out in the open, and was curious. Consider it a suggestion for the suggestion box. Thanks!

When can we do that?