How to easily identify your dominant eye

Apparently we’re Kwisatz Haderachi. I don’t know how that works.

A professor of a friend (this story has a sketchy truth value but I think it’s real) did this, then kept putting glasses on and off again, each time the process of switching happened faster. Eventually it happened instantaneously. They were then able to train themselves to consciously flip their vision upside down at will.

5 Likes

giphy

11 Likes

Very wet behind the ears, and in the first year of my career, I would occasionally work with a colleague who had one working eye. The other was patched over. Eventually, I became so used to his presence, that the patch – and his condition – became invisible to me. One day, our pre-digital Photo Department sent me pics of a particular task item he and I had been working on. For some reason, Photo has included a pic that was a mirror image of one of the others; apparently, a print had been made from the misoriented negative. But that gave me the opportunity to try something I had read about: Seeing a 3D image of a photo by viewing its mirror image version via a hand mirror. This requires both eyes. (Do you see where I’m going with this?) So, the next day I brought in a small mirror to enable the trick. It worked! I was so excited that I called over the colleague so he could have a look. He slowly raised an index finger to his eye patch and smiled very gently. All I could say was “Oh, shit!!!”

8 Likes

I am right handed, but left-eye dominant. have to lean my head sideways to sight a rifle, it looks weird but i’m a pretty decent shot. No way I could hold it left-handed.

3 Likes

I’m very left eye dominate but mostly right handed for everyday tasks. As a result, I shoot left handed which is very awkward stance but more accurate.

Recently I tried archery with my son who is learning the Mongolian draw technique (using a thumbring). I was always taught in Boy Scouts to nock the arrow on the inside or left side of the bow and draw with 2 fingers - which is called the Mediterranean style, but I always struggled with the Archer’s Paradox problem and could never get it lined up right.

I tried switching it up to the Mongolian style and once you get used to the thumb draw I found right away my aim was far more natural and on accurate. It was quite liberating to finally find a technique that works with my natural sighting and I started to hit the center without even aiming.

This is the traditional draw style. Note the arrow is nocked on the inside or left side of the bow.

This is the Mongolian style with the arrow nocked on the right

5 Likes

I imagine Mongolian Draw is problematic for heavier bows, like longbows or compound bows. Is that the case?

2 Likes

I have one contact lens that sees well at distance, once that sees well up close. Going by this test my brain does a really good job automatically switching which eye is dominant depending on the distance of the target.

4 Likes

Longbow is not really any different, but it does require a lot more draw strength so I think it would be very difficult to do with a thumbgrip. Not sure they even make compound bows that shoot this way. Most have off-center designs which negates the Archer’s Paradox entirely although thumb trigger mechanisms are extremely common.

It definitely takes getting used to and building up thumb strength . After an hour or so of shooting this style my draw hand was a wreck especially on the thumb nail as you’re holding pressure on the nail against the inside of your forefingers. A thumbring is an absolute must. A pinch grip is similar but simply can’t be used on any kind of bow with a heavy draw unless you have rock climber finger strength.

5 Likes

That’s easy, it’s the one with the crop and stilettos, right?

2 Likes

I shoot rifles left handed thanks to the left eye dominance. But I have to do anything quick right handed.

1 Like

sorry, that’s bull unless you’re also blind in one eye (probably the non-dominant one).

What do you mean?

Eye dominance is bull?

3 Likes

Are you getting a cataract? I have been right-dominant all my life, and now I am left dominant. I can see out of both eyes, and I can see significantly less on a test chart when I close my right (bad) eye. But lefty is the winner when eyeballs clash.

1 Like

Reduce the size of your triangle if you are getting both eyes to see through your triangle.

This test shows my left eye dominant, which correlates with my perception of better corrected vision in the left eye. When testing monovision contacts, the opto originally did right for distance, presumably because the right is more farsighted uncorrected. But I had him switch to left for distance, and prefer it.

But I’m not completely convinced that this test actually tests dominance for distant viewing; I hypothesize that the results may be more correlated to how well the eye sees the near fingers, which could be different in some cases.

• I remember this from comic books I read as a kid. It stops being reliable when you’re prone to messing/experimenting/f’ing with your vision (I was obsessed with naturally occurring Magic Eye moments) and it becomes another phenomenon related to binocular rivalry (for this experiment: you see 4 hands, overlapping, but when you focus on the overlapping parts, you can only see one “layer” with the two “fighting” for dominance. I love this stuff. I guess this is my kind of meditation.)
  • As a photographer I tried to switch to my left eye, because I was suspecting that the viewfinder worsened my vision. I gave up quickly - besides the using-a-fork-with-your-non-dominant-hand effect, the image/scene just felt completely different. Un-picture-like. Brains, huh?
2 Likes

was just going to say the same thing, i tried it and no matter which eye was open it shifted behind my hand…

Following the Wikipedia links around this topic led me to learn about the Empirical Binocular Horopter, which I’m pretty sure is a 7th level spell.

2 Likes

How eyes feel normally:

As soon as somebody mentions eye dominance:

7 Likes