How to easily identify your dominant eye

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/23/how-to-easily-identify-your-do.html

3 Likes

Take a guess. The odds are good for getting it right.

Even better if you have only one eye.

9 Likes

That’s great, I wish there was a test to tell me whether I’m right- or left-handed!

8 Likes

You might be basically-ambidextrous-but-with-a-slightly-dominant-hand-but-which-hand-is-dominant-may-switch-from-task-to-task.
I’m sure there is a technical term for it.
Anyway, that’s my condition.

7 Likes

I already know my dominant eye, but this test didn’t’ work for me. It shifted out of center regardless of which eye was open or closed. Apparently I put the object in the middle of the 2 overlapping triangles that my brain saw. Does this mean I’m ambi-ocular? I have super dominant eyes? Am I the Kwisatz Haderach?

13 Likes

I feel dumb for not having thought of that. I suppose a similar condition exists for eye dominance, hence this test. It’s just super obvious to me which eye I would pick if I were to, say, peer through a telescope.

Try this alternative:

Quickly point to a distant object. Now looking with one eye, then the the other, which shows you most closely pointing to the object? That’s your dominant eye.

2 Likes

Same for me - it moves for closing either eye.

2 Likes

That also seems inconclusive depending on which hand I use to point with…

3 Likes

I thought is was poke one eye and then you know, show’s ya what I know…

3 Likes

This worked better for me - my right eye used to be my dominant, but retinoathy remnants have made it unable to focus well and my brain adjusted to the left eye - using the test in the video my right eye kept it in center, the pointing test was very clearly left eye though.

A martial arts master who is also a neurologist who is researching left-handedness once checked me out. Apparently, being ambidextrous is far more widespread than you’d think, but even then you’d probably lean towards one side.
I seem to lean towards my left hand being slightly dominant, but since you can’t help growing up around a lot of things that are designed for right hand use (and can’t be operated properly lefthanded) there is a lot of stuff I do with my right.

For example:
At the office, I use my left hand to operate the computer mouse, in left-handed mode. Which is also convenient because I can use my right hand to operate the keyboard, especially the keypad.
At home, I use my right hand to operate the mouse, in right-hand mode.

5 Likes

It is amazing what the brain can do. Wear glasses that shift everything upside down and in about a month everything will look normal. What is probably sickening about that is that it does not happen all at once. [learned this in school decades ago, but asked my ophthalmologist about it and he confirmed the experiment true.] Also, you have a blind spot in each eye. Your brain fills that in for you.

8 Likes

You could just be a robot.

3 Likes

The object appeared to shift down. I guess that means my dominant view is using my third eye.

9 Likes

Left eye dominant here, with all kinds of weirdness with my handedness: Throw with my right, write with my left (except on a chalkboard/whiteboard, that’s the right hand…usually), shoot handguns with my right (with left eye dominance, fun!), rifles with my left. I figure it works out to “right for strength, left for dexterity” in most cases.

5 Likes

Awareness of your dominant eye is important for photography, golf, baseball, and archery.

And Shooting! Though in many of the sports, you want both eyes open, it definitely can effect how well you shoot. Shotgunning with the wrong eye is just an exercise in misery.

My kiddo is cross eye dominant, but needed the right handed bow because of the strength of her dominant hand/arm.

7 Likes

I’m mostly ambisinister

6 Likes

from-beyond

2 Likes

I was going to try to train ambidexterity in my son, but then the pediatrics resources warned that early ambidexterity was connected with neurological and developmental disorders.

The Ratel kit was hard right-handed from the time he could sit up, even though the pediatrician insisted that it doesn’t develop until after two.

4 Likes