How to fall asleep in two minutes

Originally published at: How to fall asleep in two minutes | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I think that’s the English translation of the mantra I was given 45 years ago when I paid for TM training.

16 Likes

How to fall asleep in two minutes

Easy – don’t fall sleep for 24 hours.

37 Likes

Aerobic exercise in the morning for at least 30 minutes, preferably 60-90 minutes.

4 Likes

Say what now??

Leave Me Alone I Give Up GIF by THE NEXT STEP

36 Likes

A technique that I still find to be very effective involves breathing. One allows the frequency and ‘depth’ of one’s breathing to slow down to a point where one believes that their breathing will stop (which, obviously, won’t happen). You’ll know it’s beginning to work when there’s suddenly a very pronounced, strong, autonomic system controlled, intake of air every so often. Two or three such intakes and I’m out like a light.

15 Likes

Just watch the last episode of (insert your least favorite series)

5 Likes

This is a great skill to have. And as @d_r alludes to, meditation training helps. When Ms. Pane first asked about it, I described it as “folding your brain away for a bit.”

8 Likes

Funny, Navy Seals say this is the way to get up at O Dark 30. :thinking:

8 Likes

this is relevant to my intere

24 Likes

Wait until you get older and just getting in a position where you aren’t actively in pain is an achievement.

35 Likes

Military-Proven Technique To Fall Asleep in 2 Minutes-- Civilians Hate Him!

16 Likes

Now in tactical black with a picatinny rail

4 Likes

I find it works best when I start working on one my stories once the light is turned out. I start writing it in my head, and pretty quickly I’ve bored myself into unconsciousness. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Here’s my technique: (1) Be on medication for high blood pressure; (2) Be constantly in a state of exhaustion; (3) Stop moving for a couple of minutes. All I have to do is become inactive for a couple of minutes, and I’m sleeping.

18 Likes

I smoke a fatty and imbibe in some Whiskey, usually takes me 10 minutes and then it’s Papasan lights out.

17 Likes

Military technique? Never heard of it.

That being said I became quite adept at falling asleep, anywhere, any time, but as @milliefink said the trick is to be awake all the time when you aren’t cat-napping. Getting to sleep now is a struggle.

tenor (3)

21 Likes

That feels more like how to stay up angry at your life choices.

5 Likes

Yep, if I’m in pain near bedtime I’ll take an ibuprofen or acetaminophen as soon as I know it’s near time to get horizontal for the night.

5 Likes

Back when hard drives weren’t so cheap, and there were all manner of reasonably affordable high capacity removable discs I would get myself to fall asleep each night by reviewing my options for backup media for my computer. Talk about boring yourself to unconsciousness.

8 Likes