How to fold a plastic shopping bag the right way

Originally published at: How to fold a plastic shopping bag the right way | Boing Boing

10 Likes

No Time Working GIF by TERRELL

22 Likes

I bet he knows how to fold a fitted sheet too.

Triumph Of King Freak GIF by Rob Zombie

32 Likes

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

10 Likes

Season 3 Amanda GIF by Siesta Key

8 Likes

Serious Information GIF by Big Brother

9 Likes

Excellent—instead of a suffocation hazard you get a choking hazard!

9 Likes

Neatly wrapped crack baggies.

1 Like

18 Likes

That makes it even worse for the dolphins, so no.

11 Likes

It’s actually faster than I expected it to be (except that last fiddly tie). I had to try it, but I don’t know that I’ll keep that going. We use bags for trash can liners, so they go out quickly too.

12 Likes

Yeah, it’s cute and tickles my fancy the same way Marie Kondo does for tidying up, but I just shove them in an upright empty paper towel roll beside the recycling bin and pull them out as needed. Quicker, and still feels kind of “organized.”

20 Likes

letterkenny-katie-fuck

14 Likes

this is the “right” way? so i’ve been wrong to fold them in triangles (with a simple tuck at the end rather than a knot) all these years?

3 Likes

Don’t quote me but I think grocery store-style bags are high-density PE, whereas the softer, thicker kind from clothing stores etc. are LDPE. Or maybe the upmarket bags just have extra plasticizers or something.

Anyway the upshot is the flimsy bags don’t melt good, but the premium bags are a thrilling boon for the home melter (and tend to come in exciting colors).

• iron them (under a sheet of foil) onto wood and other surfaces!

• fuse several layers around a glass mixing bowl using an iron or heat gun to make a sturdy and stylish fruit bowl!

• shred them up and just plain melt them in the oven to form alluring marbled objets! (Ideally you make silicone molds for this)

17 Likes

you can also braid plastic bags together into rope

5 Likes

Might be good to pop a couple of these in my backpack; otherwise, I agree with everyone else here.

2 Likes

You can iron a few layers of them between sheets of wax paper into tarps

3 Likes

the mum used to warp her floor loom with monofilament fishing line and tightly weave plastic shopping bags into a “fabric” that she then turned into jackets that were amazingly water resistant and colorful!

19 Likes

We basically no longer have plastic bags in much of the portland area, so , it’s paper or reusables around here. Paper bags are charged .05 a bag, too. I’ve found, honestly, the plastic bags he was saving can’t be reused more than a few times, and paper bags more than that. But obviously cloth are the winners.

4 Likes