How to install Linux Mint on your Mac or Windows machine

Installing linux to a live usb3 thumbdrive is generally a lot snappier, and lets you save data/updates to the thumbdrive between sessions.

You can help support the Linux Mint team and make installation as easy as possible by getting the installation discs from the Linux Mint store for only $5.95
https://www.linuxmint.com/store_cds.php

1 Like

I make bootable usb images these days… but yes I should throw them some $$$.

1 Like

They sell those too! The 16Gb version is $14.95

1 Like

OBS also runs flawlessly on it as well with no lag on my web cam like in Winblows 10. :white_check_mark:

Depends on your use case and how long you’ve been using Linux. The first time I used Linux I had to figure out what modelines to use to make XFree86 work right with my monitor. I think I ended up buying something like Partition Magic so I could dual-boot without wiping out Windows. Nowadays that’s much simpler.

Personally, I switched to Fedora when I realized how much of the Linux distribution space is following their lead now. I don’t think their KDE spin is the absolute best Plasma Desktop distribution, but it’s close!

So as someone else pointed out, Ubuntu likes to use swap files now instead of swap partitions, but they’re not ideal in all use cases. The idea is that you have dedicated drive space where stuff can be swapped in and out of RAM if you run out of it. And yes, if you have 32GB+ of RAM, you can still run out; know how Android phones used to just freeze up when they ran out of memory? Linux (well, technically Android is also Linux) will do the same thing. In both cases, they call an Out-of-Memory Killer to kill any processes it thinks it can do without. Just go for it. You don’t get the option on OS X or Windows. And if you’re just devoting a computer and drive to Linux, it’ll just be part of the install process and transparent.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.