How to know when it is time to leave

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/19/how-to-know-when-it-is-time-to.html

9 Likes

When you can take your coat and car keys from my hand, it will be time for you to leave; we all have to get up early for work tomorrow.

19 Likes

I always thought he let him grab it that time because he wanted him to go.

14 Likes

I’ll leave the dark, prurient jokes to others about how Carradine decided it was time for him to leave (the mortal coil). That show remains, half a century later, arguably the most unique and inimitable concept ever on TV. Most of the credit for that goes to Ed Spielman, who somehow sold the notion of teaching the public Taoism (Lao Tzu’s poems from the Tao Te Ching are quoted liberally during the famous flashback scenes) and Buddhism over their boob tubes. It was sophisticated even in its violence: those slow-mo fight scenes were replicated in the Matrix films, some 30 yrs. later.

9 Likes

does Bruce Lee get any credit here?

6 Likes

“We made you self brand with flaming hot cauldron and you still wouldn’t leave?”

12 Likes

then there was the “walking across the temple without tearing the tissue paper”

“You waste too much paper - we’ll have to send you out to the super-market for more.”

9 Likes

Hey wait a minute, that’s my pebble!

7 Likes

When they say, “don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out”, that’s time to leave.

7 Likes

And give up free room and board? Keep the damn pebble.

13 Likes

Spielman was the creator of Kung Fu. Lee was obviously an influence re. the martial arts aspect of the show, but for production and overall concept Kung Fu clearly carved its own path. It was never copied, and the sequel they attempted was a pale, weak imitation of the original. It was emblematic of some remarkable TV that was made just in a period of five years or so: Star Trek original series, Kung Fu, Monty Python, and The Prisoner all appeared in that window of the late 60’s - early 70’s.

12 Likes

Bruce Lee’s involvement is discussed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series)

6 Likes

Something in my gut tells me if the Ecuadoran embassy had played to Assange’s arrogance, this trick might have worked.

12 Likes

That pebble. The rice paper. So many tests for a Shaolin monk.

3 Likes

It is always time to leave.

1 Like

It is time to leave when the good whiskey is gone

3 Likes

path%20to%20enlightenment

3 Likes

“Phone Bill”

1 Like

tumblr_o5hwwzAmyC1v7lt75o1_250|nullxnull

1 Like

There were funky China men from funky Chinatown. They were chopping them up. They were chopping them down. It’s an ancient Chinese art and everybody knew their part, from a feigning to a slip and a kickin’ from the hip.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting. Those kids were fast as lightning. In fact it was a little bit frightening, but they fought with expert timing.

Woah-oh-oh-ohhh.

3 Likes