How to Make Cuban Coffee

I stopped using a moka pot because I replaced my old stove with one of the ceramic-glass-top ones, which don’t work well with it, though I still use it for camping. Also, the Aeropress doesn’t threaten to explode.
(Most of the time I use a French press instead; I prefer the style of coffee it makes and it’s even easier.)

I used to have an 18-cup monster of a moka pot which used to explode unless you were really careful with dosing it. If the grounds were packed too tightly, the pressure valve would blow, with “hilarious” results. I’ve now got a slightly saner electric one which is pretty damned convenient to use.

Still miss the monster pot though, but I get a lot more sleep these days.

Weird. I’ve had some small and medium sized ones and used them fairly reguarly in my early college days and i never had one explode. I guess i had one sort of splatter coffee when it started to percolate so maybe that’s what you guys are referring to. But i had that happen maybe twice.

My problem was that it was easy for me to set the pot and walk away… and forget the damn thing was on. I melted like 2-3 moka pots.

1 Like

Kind of.

It’s what happens when the grounds are too fine or too densely packed that the water can’t easily pass through it and the pressure in the lower chamber builds up enough to blow the safety- valve on the side, sending a jet of steam, boiling water and partially brewed coffee across the kitchen.

Pro-Tip - That little brass doobery on the side of the pot? Point it away from you.

1 Like

this is the regular everyday italian way of doing coffe :slight_smile: and it’s healthier than the regular coffe pot with water dripping in it

I checked with my Cuban wife and she confirms that is correct. However, you will not die from drinking the whole pot, you just won’t get any sleep for days.

My wife also said that every country does has their own variation, but the writer of the article did it the ‘Cuban’ way.

““What tequila is to liquor, café cubano is to the world of coffee.””

1 Like

Made my wife (who is from Miami and Cuban) laugh about that one. I guess she can relate.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.