How to make super shiny mud balls

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/05/how-to-make-super-shiny-mud-ba.html

4 Likes

Pro Tip: A dorodango made from the soils of the homeland are an especially thoughtful gift for that vampire sweetie this Valentines Day.

Image result for nosferatu

21 Likes

Yes! I used Carla’s directions from Craft to make a dorodango a few years ago.

6 Likes

I remember when Mythbusters used a similar technique to highly polish feces to disprove the myth that you can’t polish a turd.

10 Likes

Sorry for the quality…

8 Likes

powerful earth energy orbs

4 Likes

it’s… shitty

4 Likes

Me too! It’s a really fun way to while away a few hours outdoors in the warm season, highly recommended!

1 Like

Shiny!
That’s why.

5 Likes

Which brings us to…

1 Like

The smooth surface adds aerodynamic drag and therefore infuses enjoyable challenge when hurling them at people you don’t like.

4 Likes

Did she say that these are very fancy buttholes?

I am polishing a turd right now.

Reminds me of the time I almost drowned myself while gathering the choicest mud for flinging from a local waterhole near my house as a kid. My brother had convinced me that if I fell in, the catfish would eat me. I was so panicked, it took a little while for me to realize the water only went up to my sternum.

4 Likes

After watching that video, does anyone else think it feels a bit like cheating to make them out of carefully measured ingredients rather than some mud you picked up in a special place? I mean obviously who cares really, but the later would be more impressive and meaningful to me.

1 Like

Iirc this tradition comes from Japanese school kids fucking around on play grounds. “Meaning” doesn’t have to factor into it.

It seems like a lot of people who are seriously into this as an arts and crafts thing sift and mix their dirt. And seek out particular soil in order to control the effect and make better looking balls. It’s like any craft where understanding the materials and methods is key to getting it to work and doing it well. So for my part that’s plenty impressive to me.

But there’s also plenty of people who do this as an advancement of collecting dirt from places they’ve been and significant places. Which I’ve always thought was a charming weird thing to do. My aunt’s got tiny bottles of sand and dirty from everywhere she’s ever been. The garden of the house where my grandfather was raised, most of the cemeteries with family buried in them, the field where the turf house my grandfather was born, Normandy beach. They’re all over. I could see her getting into this if it didn’t require a lot more dirt than she tends to collect.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.