Mysterious rolling balls of poop alarm authorities in Great Smoky Mountains

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/26/mysterious-rolling-balls-of-po.html

3 Likes

“…in relation to its size the dung beetle is not only the world’s strongest insect – it’s the world’s strongest animal ! When moving balls of dung, a roller can pull a whopping 1,141 times its own bodyweight – that’s the same as a human dragging six full double-decker busses along a road!” -NatGeoKids

DblDeckPoop

17 Likes

well placed ad:

17 Likes

In related news, this is exactly how I’ve spent the last 36 years of my life. Gathering sh** for the nourishment of my offspring. The dung beetle just does it with more pizzazz.

Edited to show photo of actual dung beetle at work, moving the sun. Eat sunbeams, Apollo!

19 Likes

On top of ol’ Smoky,
All covered in poop,
I lost my sweet dungball
To a tourist group.

All together now, in four part harmony!

21 Likes

This alarmed authorities? Dung beetle dung balls? Are these authorities morons ?

4 Likes

I think it “alarmed” tourists, to whom the authorities responded. I’m not sure how alarmed the tourists were (versus curious, surprised, etc.) but tourists are often idiots, so…

8 Likes

18 Likes

They’re not just common in the US Southeast. They’re everywhere. People don’t notice them. In rural Tennessee, we called them “doodlebugs.” FWIW.

4 Likes

Maybe- but who wants to be bitten by a radioactive dung beetle?

4 Likes

There are those who are born with a silver spoon and others with a ball of crap.

We’ve got wee little ones with cow horns out here in CA:

1 Like

I’m intensely envious of the dung beetle’s dorodango technique, though I don’t think I’d be willing to try using fresh dung, even if it ensured good results.

1 Like

doodlebugs or doodiebugs?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.