How to make your own cat scratching posts

[Read the post]

1 Like

the trick to making a scratching post is ‘don’t make it obvious’. as soon as the cat is on to you, they will find something else to scratch.

12 Likes

Left this comment at the source:
So, think of how the staples will eventually be 1/2 pulled out and
expose their sharp ends. How about wrapping the rope onto wood-glue
covered post? Or, be sure to have all the staples on just one face of
the post, and that face be inaccessible to scratch.

1 Like

The old man and I made a huge one back in the spring from a giant cardboard core and it stands more than 5 feet tall. It seemed to hit the spot for our cats (4 of them including a 16 pound american shorthair who is a total brute and a 8 pound maine coon).

4 Likes

hot glue from a glue gun works just as well but you might need to apply more glue in return

3 Likes

With one of my previous cats, the method was “buy a cat scratching post. Take it out of the box. Set it up. Cat says ‘Oh, boy, a new cardboard box to shred! shred shred scratch shred scratch!’”

11 Likes

Step 1: buy a nice couch, one which will be the nicest piece of furniture you have.

That’s it. Doesn’t matter what other efforts you go through, that’s your scratching post. Also serves double duty as the hairball-vomit receptacle.

14 Likes

If you use poultry netting staples (the kind you bang in with a hammer), they aren’t going anywhere.

Ah, That reminds me, I’ve got a cat scratching post to refurbish!

This scratching post was unscathed for months and months. Until one of our cats recently decided he had a personal vendetta against it and did this damage in about half a week.

8 Likes

But can I charge my cats with the combo scratcher / USB charger?

4 Likes

Can I hear a MEOW!?!?!?!

4 Likes

Step 1: Buy a dog.

Step 2: Forget about making toys for pets and have a beer!

1 Like

I came here because I thought the title was “How to make your own cat stretching posts.” Disappointing.

But as long as we’re talking about scratching posts (I guess…), I would add that our cats LOVE the ones that are laminated cardboard. That’s the first scratching post type product that actually keeps them away from the furniture.

3 Likes

Not true…or else we had the only four cats in the universe that loved to use their scratching posts?

I think it’s because we really stayed on them about this when they were itty, bitty kittens, and we didn’t have to spray water at them or anything. If they even extended a paw near furniture, we picked them up and put them on their post.

However, they are particular and they aren’t partial to rope so that scratching post in the post wouldn’t work for any of them. It’s soft, thick carpeting or nothing…they’re not stupid.:grinning:

1 Like

Damn! I wish I was at home to snap a picture of our first generation post that they still l love. (Exposed wood)

1 Like

My cat isn’t as much a fan of the scratching as he is,
“lets make as much noise as possible at weird hours for the sheer fun of watching the manservant get annoyed”

So he prefers crumpling up paper, scratching old luggage and knocking anything his little paws can knock to the floor (my charging cellphone being his favorite).

2 Likes

Before you wind the rope, let it soak for a bit. Sisal shrinks when it dries, so you’ll get an even tighter wrap. Also, use gloves! Trying to wrap sisal tightly with bare hands = ouchy.

4 Likes

Usually works: When it is time to get a new couch, make scratching posts out of the old couch material. If they show a fondness for a new couch, head to the fabric store and try to find something that is a similar texture and make a post out of that.

3 Likes

Your cat?

7 Likes

Close enough

2 Likes