How to make your own DEC H-500 Computer Lab Reproduction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/14/how-to-make-your-own-dec-h-500.html

3 Likes

At first glance from the angle of the picture and the how the edge of the table looks against the wainscoting on the wall, this thing looks 9 feet tall.

Love these mechano-digital builds.

2 Likes

Here is my mates Digital Systems Trainer jamming with my Serge synth.

6 Likes

In the 1970s some time my dad bought home a digital electronics trainer. It had a rotary telephone dialer to inject pulses and various bits of electro-mechanical logic which you could arrange to make use of the pulses. I suppose it was aimed at telephone technicians, who needed to understand some of the fundamentals of communications, and working on the real thing was just too expensive at the time.

4 Likes

Love the switch toggles.

1 Like

Those are some fancy polygonal switches

1 Like

At first I thought he was seriously dedicated when I saw the efforts he went through to replicate the switches, but then the rest of the build continued to build layer after later of incredible attention to detail. Hats off to you, you glorious maniac.

6 Likes

This is very very cool!

1 Like

As recently as the late 1990s, these types of trainers were still in use. We used these exact units in my university for digital logic classes. They were a lot of fun to play with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.