How to register your drone with the government

What if instead of shooting “4K”, I rig up a system to shoot 9mm? Problem solved, and it would bring the UAV closer in spirit to the true meaning of “drone”.

1 Like

What if my hobby is multispectral/hyperspectral imaging and I am using the UAV as just a convenient platform? I did quite some “commercial-grade” jobs in my life for exchange for tackling an interesting problem (and sometimes a grossly below-market-rate sum of money, barter, or some scrap equipment). Would I get in trouble for assessing thermal leaks of a friend’s roof with a FLIR Lepton ducttaped to a drone?

For a mad scientist, a lot more things fall under “recreation” than what’s usual for the plebes.

This only applies to recreational flying drones, not all drones generally.

Sounds like that would be “research” rather than recreation or commerce.

Even if done just for fun? How to explain this to a bureaucrat?

The term “hobby” is mostly an insult slung from a culture that only understands money. The way I see it, if you are doing it for knowledge directly, it is research. If you refer to it as being a hobby pursuit, this is what they mean by “recreation”.

I wouldn’t bother, if they were interested in understanding anything, they wouldn’t be a bureaucrat. Most of them probably assume that pure research is only some clever business model. Otherwise, explain it in a certified latter - tied to a brick and thrown through their window.

An insult is an insult only when it is understood as such by both the sender and the receiver. I don’t consider it so, so it is not one for me.

The culture understands much more than just money. The bureaucrats that are attempting to be in control of the world are however putting undue emphasis on money.

Once you get in trouble, you HAVE to bother.

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/19/the-federal-drone-registry-will-make-your-name-and-address-public/

2 Likes

…and it doesn’t make much sense anyway.

1 Like

From your link:

These rules change if the aircraft is not being used to spray crops, and agricultural aircraft are commonly used to tow gliders up to altitude. There’s another rule for that buried in Part 91, and glider tow pilots are required to hold the proper endorsements. Since the PA-25 is a single-seat airplane, the pilot for this glider tow will be required to fly a glider towed up by another plane three times a year. Yes, in order to fly their airplane, glider tow pilots are required to fly another airplane to stay current.

Perhaps the FAA believes that tow pilots who are familiar with what they are towing make for better tow pilots. In an emergency, if the tow pilot needs the glider pilot to adjust something, the tow pilot probably should understand what the effect of that adjustment will be.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.