How to remove splinters with a DIY smart phone magnifier

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/02/how-to-remove-splinters-with-a.html

2 Likes

I wonder if a defunct laser pointer lens might also be an option?

built a few of these for school gardens over the years

A glass sphere/marble also works or so I am told by my slightly more idiot than savant friend Goog
not sure how you would position the glass bead… maybe need another set of hands

2 Likes

More please!
This will go well with my fascination of abscess and ear wax removal videos. I’m delightfully queasy just thinking about it.

2 Likes

A microscope is the best way to remove a splinter, especially for people with eyeballs of a certain age. Fortunately, I have nice stereo-zoom microscopes both at home and at work. This looks like a pretty good low-cost alternative.

2 Likes

There is an app for this. If you have an iPhone, there is an option under Setting—>General—>Accessibilty called Magnifier. If you turn this on, when you press the home button 3 times, it gives you a magnified view that is perfect for removing splinters. You can even turn on the light with it. Enormously helpful tool.

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

Nah … [true story] the best, most painless way I’ve found to remove splinters is just leave it in there till it gets a bit infected, then squeeze gently and watch it glide out lubricated by the pus.[/true story]

Of course, that depends on the splinter not having a little bit sticking up proud of the skin which catches on everything :angry:

3 Likes

the lenses from old (and I mean old) internal DVD or better CD-drives are pretty good for that, too. they got mostly the exact right size for that purpose (I tried few years ago) and deliver great magnification.

1 Like

There is this new fangled device called a ‘magnifying glass’ that might be a bit simpler to maneuver.

1 Like

Mostly I use a sterile scalpel or fresh razor blade and my specialized sensory neurons. You can’t really see glass or clear plastic shards, or fine cactus spines, but you can feel it when the blade hits one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.