How to rhyme "oranges"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/27/how-to-rhyme-oranges.html

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know I could sustain a single cringe that long.

10 Likes

What once was popular is now nightmare fuel. Such is the cruel irony of pop culture.

5 Likes

It is Witchypoo

4 Likes

door hinges

12 Likes

Ah, Robbo just beat me to this…

11 Likes

Um, has nobody heard of bloranges? Cuz there’s a rhyme, right there.

4 Likes

Oranges rhymes with silver.

2 Likes

“Poor Gamgeses?”

#gollum slant rhymes

3 Likes
16 Likes

The canned laugh track really makes it a lot worse.

4 Likes
9 Likes

there’s a song by the band Pavement where they challenge you to rhyme a word with “Pavement”. I immediately started singing to the melody "tell me where the cave went. I’m looking all around. For holes here in the ground. " I guess it’s not a perfect rhyme but it would work in a song.

5 Likes

Eating an orange
While making love
Makes for bizarre enj-
oyment thereof.

-Tom Lehrer

15 Likes

So Janis Joplin didn’t die?

I can’t find the original, but I recall something like, “if more engineers wore orange brassieres…”

3 Likes

Orange is easy to rhyme with:

Dump, bump, crump, schlump, hump, etc.

3 Likes

I’m sure all the drugs that the Krofts and their team were taking made each show seem like a masterpiece that would endure forever.

I love it. Eminem is clever that way.

He can intuitively recognize that the word “orange” is two syllables (although it’s typically pronounced in one beat), so he splits “or” and “inge” sound and rhymes everything off the second syllable: “inge” to “hinge”/“inch”, and then with “porridge” and “George” he pulls the same trick rhyming the second syllable of “orange” with the second syllable of “porridge” and “George”. It seems funny/non-sensical when you write it out but when you vocalize it, it works – and he’s not just lazily making up words to make it all fit.

And this is why Eminem is an extremely well-respected rapper… and I’m not.

5 Likes

Gorringes.

1 Like