How to sharpen a $13 kitchen knife so it cuts like an expensive one

Any knife can be made razor sharp. The question is how long will it stay sharp, and how much effort does it take to maintain the edge.

And yes, Victorinox Fibrox are great knives for home use.

source: 15 years as a chef.

8 Likes

I’ve had mine for about 30 years.

1 Like

Depends whether you’re measuring from the vertical or the horizontal, I’ve seen both.
IOW, 60 could really be 30. :relaxed:

2 Likes

My bad. I meant two 15s. Somehow that became 60 and not 30. 20-22 is fine if someone has the time and will to use those sticks. For me, they’re too fiddly, and 30 gets the job done for me. But I’m not a sushi chef or anything like that.

For amateur home knife sharpeners, the spyderco system is (I think) the best option. It’s easy to use, finer ceramic stones are available, and you don’t have to devote hours to hone (!) a skill.

Add a strop and you’ll have sharp knives and get there much quicker than whetstones

1 Like

The information is good, but lord save me from instructional videos from amateurs. I turned off after he said he’d done 15-20 sharpens and found a shorter video with a master sharpener to watch instead!

I’m an ex lamb boner trying to adjust from 5 and 6 inch boning knives to prepping in a kitchen with a chefs knife.

I was surprised by these angles as I’ve always used between 30 and 45 degrees and trust me - my knives were sharp! (I even cut though my steel mesh glove once.) We were always steeling edges too which may be a drawback for larger angles.

I guess I like a bit of shoulder on knives so I can trim and slice but can also bone and fillet without the edge catching.

I make custom knives, and can honestly tell you that you could sharpen a butter knife to a hair popping degree of sharpness. Of course it’s not going to keep an edge for long, but that’s another matter. Your $13 kitchen knife is probably not made of anywhere near as good of an alloy as the “expensive” knife, and if they’re made of the same alloy, the heat treat is likely not as good.

There are some really good “cheap” brands out there, and some relatively shitty expensive ones. That being said the difference between the two is usually one of materials and heat treat rather than just how well it was sharpened.

I’ve got a “what the F is this actual brand?” cheap butcher knife that I picked up used in college that I figured I’d destroy, but was a bit intrigued by the “Vanadium steel” etch on the blade. I’ve still never heard of the brand, but it’s one of the best knives I’ve used in the kitchen. The blade shape and geometry is excellent, and the heat treat is spot on.

2 Likes

I did not know custom knives were a thing. Is it mainly for chefs and rich people, I assume?

And thanks to everyone for pointing out that sharpening != staying sharp

Also, for eating my favorite knives have always been the Cutco serated ones, and I guarantee basically no one is sharpening those at home.

You’d be surprised. As long as you’re not going for the really fancy stuff or precious materials, handmade custom knives really aren’t expensive considering the quality and work. When you start to get into “art knives” or the really fancy stuff, then yeah, it’s mainly for collectors or rich people.

There are a lot of people though that make “quality tool” level knives that, while more than factory knives, aren’t always that much more.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.