How to start an electric fire with just a Marshall amp, a space heater, and a power strip

What freestanding indoor electrical device wouldn’t be roughly competitive with a space heater, watt for watt, given sufficient air circulation?

4 Likes

From the perspective of a sufficiently large closed system anything that isn’t precisely on par with a space heater should probably be investigated for witchcraft; but from the perspective of a room or house to be space-heated a reasonably efficient speaker or radio transmitter(or light fixture, if there’s a window) might shovel enough energy out of the context being considered to produce noticeably less heat vs. a space heater.

Bit rules-lawyering; but plenty of common construction is pretty much opaque to IR while either uninterested in stopping or actively designed for transparency to sound, visible wavelengths; and RF.

4 Likes

You didn’t say why the space heater blew up the power strip! There is a comment here about one being built with 18 ga. wire, which is fine shorthand for how cheap it might’a been built, but was the Marshall also reacting with the heater and whatever surge thing is in the protector? The Power of Stumblecore is Lava? NY Times readers need to know these things for when convening Allied Powers but Turkey insists on ambient Stumblecore [yeah, just gotta pick a term 10% better than that]…

3 Likes

The buried lede here is that power strips are way, way, way underregulated. There was a point in history where this wouldn’t have happened because, by design, the weak link in the chain between your heater and the power pole is a breaker. That’s what they are for- to prevent electrical fires.

With the glut of unregulated power strips and extension cords flooding the market since around the 1990s or so, people have created secondary proxy electrical systems past the outlet. These secondary systems have jumped back to 1900s levels of safety. As a result, we now get regular electrical fires again, partly undoing decades of satefy progress.

2 Likes

Just by amusing happenstance, I was telling my partner yesterday morning that we need to work on replacing all our cheap/crappy power strips with, if not IsoBars, something less cheap/crappy. And then explaining to her the difference, how things can be isolated across a transformer’s airgap, etc.

Oh, I recall the happenstance: it was another mid-morning power blip much like the last two that backflowed enough juice that the electric co-op called each customer on the phone to ask, and I shit you not, if their meter happened to be on fire at the moment. That event also cooked four motor controllers: two in portable HEPA units, one in our main HVAC fan, and an adjustable aquarium pump.

1 Like

1 Like

That’s a lot of rendering!

It is! Might as well do something useful with the entropy. :wink:

I run clients for the Sheep-It distributed render farm. I’m earning credits should I ever have the time to get back into 3D rendering… currently I’m in the top 1% of renderers (nearly in 20th place, 30-day rolling average, and have nearly 28M points saved up… my frames will definitely be prioritized in the future. :stuck_out_tongue: )

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.