How to start an electric fire with just a Marshall amp, a space heater, and a power strip

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/15/how-to-start-an-electric-fire-with-just-a-marshall-amp-a-space-heater-and-a-power-strip.html

8 Likes

@thomdunn, I really appreciated this section, “… electricity and water are an even deadlier combination than orange juice and toothpaste.” That got my smile for the day.

8 Likes

Unless you need immediate, short term heat, oil filled radiators are almost always the best option. No exposed elements, they seem to be the most energy efficient, and they provide a lot of heat in all directions. They are really the only option for longer term use.

7 Likes

My MIDI rig of analog synths, effects and mixing desk will heat a room all on its own. If you had to add a space heater, you just don’t have enough gear!

17 Likes

First, it’s called SmartWool for a reason. Get ya some.

Second, why a second space heater if you’ve already got a Marshall? (I kid, I kid; seeing people find out how many of those stacks are just 100W heads is my favorite part of explaining amplifiers and wattage.)

And C, I get why the NYT would find it safer to tell people to just say no to extension cords, the logic stated only applies to extension cords that are too light for the load. But you should feel free to plug your space heater into any extension cord that costs more than about three dollars a foot.

2 Likes

Damn @thomdunn! WTheck was that?
It could only happen in Boston. Ben Franklin was in the wrong state.
Was he nearer Beacon Hill than the Harbor?

2 Likes

This is unfortunately an easy mistake to make. One i’d be likely do myself, power strips don’t really have a robust mechanism to cut off heavy loads and trip. I have a few high end surge protectors that i have my new TV and work laptop plugged into, and one for my gaming PC but every power strip i have are really basic cheap ones.

1 Like

It is amazing how many power strips have 18awg wire.

2 Likes

That was a line I weirdly had to fight for and explain to the top editor haha

9 Likes

Aaaancient throwback time: I nearly burned down the house with the microwave, after getting distracted by yet-unreleased Xbox Live (I was in the internal alpha… so OG my gamertag is “Me”).

Anyways, put a Costco Lasagna into the oven and left it running. Hear a crash and run to the kitchen: Then microwave glass had shattered from the heat, and flames are bursting out of the built-in unit, plastic melting to the floor. I’d accidentally turned on the microwave for 30 minutes, rather than use the 30-minute timer. Turns out there’s a belt that runs a fan-like device that scatters the microwave beam around the cavity, and the belt had snapped. So the beam was focused on one spot for nearly half an hour. The tech said usually these malfunctions result in a burned-down house.

It does explain why the microwave was the worst at heating up foods. :stuck_out_tongue:

Potato quality, I used the camcorder’s built-in camera to document it and put it online (didn’t have an actual digital camera at the time).

In more modern times… I’m running a 3090 and a 2080 Super, both rendering all night long… I had to switch to a heavy-duty extension cord to use a different circuit in the apartment for the 3090 machine, and the extension cord is physically warm to the touch. And the machines running renders… heck, I have to crack the window open to cool the place down. It’s like a couple 400w heaters running nonstop. >.<

Be safe all!

5 Likes

Pedant in light-hearted mood here.

When I read that headline

How to start an electric fire with just a Marshall amp, a space heater, and a power strip

I was intrigued as to why one would have an electric fire that would not start up and why you’d use a Marshall amp, a space heater and a power strip to get it going.

Then I realised it was an electrical fire. :wink:

5 Likes

Simpsons:

6 Likes

You’re really working that badge!

4 Likes

I’m running a space heater on the end of a 10m extension cord, but I’m not worried because the plug is fused (thanks UK electricity standards!), and the extension cord is rated to 2.4kW (10A).

3 Likes

'tis the season… to overload home electrics.

giphy (10)

4 Likes

Obligatory:

image

4 Likes

I’m surprised you needed anything beyond the space heater.

Those things are pretty much just a barely-controlled short circuit as implemented by the low bidder.

5 Likes

In trying to fix an old Peavey 212 x2 amp I nearly burned the house down too. Unplugged it and gave the whole thing to a local amp builder who will part it out. He offered $$ but I declined.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of rendering being done. I don’t really use my gaming set up for anything too heavy but in the Texas summer even light gaming can make my room way too warm, if i ever get a house and had the money i’d love to figure out a way to get the PC to exhaust directly to the outside :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, this is quite an amusing graph

image

9 Likes