Solus takes a totally unique approach to heating your room while saving you big money

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/02/solus-takes-a-totally-unique-approach-to-heating-your-room-while-saving-you-big-money.html

Infrared radiative heaters aren’t unique and in fact are less efficient than blowing air accross hot wires.

In anycase, you’re always limited to about 1100 watts of heat output on a 10 amp circuit no matter what kind of electric heater you use.

3 Likes

Pro tip:
By using a small wire gage long extension cord you can get even MORE heat out it!

[maybe not?]

7 Likes

Heat pumps are loads more efficient, because the energy is used to just move the heat from elsewhere instead of creating it with electricity. (from outside, or better yet, from the ambient ground temperature)

2 Likes

Coming from Minnesota I can most assuredly guarantee you that no, it is not.

9 Likes

The guy I talked to at Home Depot said these don’t even actually heat the air around them. He said it was more like standing in front of a window on a sunny day, if you step to the side, you lose the heat. He said they were good for faux fireplaces and things like that, but he suggested it wasn’t the thing to get to heat an entire room.

Given he worked there and was basically talking me out of buying it, I leaned toward trusting his opinion.

6 Likes

If it wasn’t overpriced and ineffective it wouldn’t be in the BBS.

10 Likes

basically that of the sexiest radiator you’ve ever seen.

Having been in the field 40 years, I never once rated a radiators on there sexiness. BTUs per linear foot, yes.

4 Likes

Just looked these up.

There is a YouTube video of of a pleasant Australian guy reviewing their claims. It is 48 minutes long, so just fast forward to the places where he is literally falling out of his chair laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnM4UcSDDpk

3 Likes

And in the process you can set your house on fire, which will keep you warm for the rest of your life.

1 Like

Shilling scammy products again, Boing Boing?

1 Like

Be careful, I was threatened with permanent deletion here after criticising one of their repeating ads for out of date training bundles, since the ad didn’t say what old versions of the included languages were being taught.

Apparently at least one of their censors is very touchy about using the word “scam” to describe inaccurate and misleading ads. He couldn’t explain how making false claims is not “scamming”, of course, since English is English and that’s what the word means.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.